Marcin Gortat vents he’s no longer even considered in Phoenix

Nov 19, 2012, 11:06 AM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

Not a lot of people noticed outside the Valley of the Sun, but Marcin Gortat was playing at a near All-Star level when paired with Steve Nash last season, as the big in a lot of his pick-and-rolls.

This season it is not the same in Phoenix. Nash is in Los Angeles and the Suns are 4-7 and struggling along. The Polish Hammer went from averaging 15.4 points per game and getting nearly 12 shots a contest last year to 11 points and 9 shots.

And he vented about it to Przeglad Sportowy’s Marcin Harasimowicz — a Polish publication — and Gothic Ginobili has the translation. He was asked how this season is going compared to last.

Unfortunately, in my case – for worse. I’m certainly not the player I was last season, I need to find my place in the new order. I’m still capable of helping this team, and regularly recording a double double, but when the ball sticks to one person on offence, it’s hard to find a good rhythm….

Unfortunately, my two strongest plays – the pick and roll and post-ups have been taken away from me. It’s not easy, we have a lot of plays that don’t include me. And my chemistry with Goran Dragic hasn’t been quite equal to what I had with Steve. These are things that we need to work on….

Unfortunately, I don’t think I’m even an option for (coach Alvin) Gentry. He doesn’t even take me into consideration. The situation is critical. We’re playing the same thing we’ve been playing last year, but the truth is we have a completely different set of players. I don’t think it really works. I can’t get frustrated now though, I have to stay positive.

Note to Gortat — communication is global now. What you say in Polish to a Polish reporter for a Polish publication will find it’s way back to the United States quickly now.

Last season 21.6 percent of the Suns shot came off a pick-and-roll, another 20.4 percent on spot ups, while just 7.5 percent were isolations. So far this season 18.6 percent of shots are pick-and-roll (a Gortat strength), 21.3 percent on spot ups and 8.5 percent in isolation. They are 19th in the league in offensive efficiency this season.

I’m not sure anyone expected anything different this season — with Nash gone and Michael Beasley, Goran Dragic and Luis Scola getting most of the touches. Well, nobody except Gortat.

Gortat reportedly turned down discussion of a contract extension in Phoenix (he is making $7.3 million this season $7.7 million the next). The publication also said he could be traded, but frankly on the rebuilding Suns there isn’t a player that’s not available.

1. letangusespertplus - Nov 19, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Trade him to the thunder then.

2. phreakin - Nov 19, 2012 at 11:21 AM

PLEASE trade Bealsey so he stops being Carmello Anthony is ball hogging at least. They guys IS TERRIBLE and it’s affecting everyone else.It’s not helping that Gentry and Sarver want Beasley to be the “star” of the team. I’ll give Beasley credit though, he appears to have the smoking under control but he is justa very bad basketball player. Both mentally and physically. Goran ad Marcin would work well together but Dragic has been instructed to get Beasley the ball and Beasley has been told the only time he shouldn’t shoot is when he doesn’t have the ball. Alvin is going to lose his job is Sarver and him keep making Beasley the focus. We finally got a decent big man in town and they’re going to relegate him to the Robin Lopez role.

3. readysethike - Nov 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM

not a good way to vent his frustration through the media

• troy10 - Nov 19, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Good insight. Thanks for taking the time.

• guyaneserj - Nov 19, 2012 at 4:35 PM

LMAO…

4. truprof - Nov 19, 2012 at 1:39 PM

He could get a few more buckets per game if he was willing to do some dirty work on the offensive boards. He’d up his rpg stats too.

5. djjackson81 - Nov 19, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I clambered at the post when I saw Beasley headed to Phoenix. News flash though big man Nash is gone did you expect anything less?

6. djjackson81 - Nov 19, 2012 at 3:12 PM

No star power on the team and who is gonna want anybody off the cast off from other teams anyways. Live long fan of the Suns but I don’t even care to watch this team play.

7. raidmagic - Nov 19, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Send him back to Orlando Phoenix!!! We’ll give you Ayon and McRoberts for him.

8. raidmagic - Nov 19, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Besides, you owe us, you fleeced Otis on the trade to get him in the first place.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches