Nov 19, 2012, 11:06 AM EST
This season it is not the same in Phoenix. Nash is in Los Angeles and the Suns are 4-7 and struggling along. The Polish Hammer went from averaging 15.4 points per game and getting nearly 12 shots a contest last year to 11 points and 9 shots.
And he vented about it to Przeglad Sportowy’s Marcin Harasimowicz — a Polish publication — and Gothic Ginobili has the translation. He was asked how this season is going compared to last.
Unfortunately, in my case – for worse. I’m certainly not the player I was last season, I need to find my place in the new order. I’m still capable of helping this team, and regularly recording a double double, but when the ball sticks to one person on offence, it’s hard to find a good rhythm….
Unfortunately, my two strongest plays – the pick and roll and post-ups have been taken away from me. It’s not easy, we have a lot of plays that don’t include me. And my chemistry with Goran Dragic hasn’t been quite equal to what I had with Steve. These are things that we need to work on….
Unfortunately, I don’t think I’m even an option for (coach Alvin) Gentry. He doesn’t even take me into consideration. The situation is critical. We’re playing the same thing we’ve been playing last year, but the truth is we have a completely different set of players. I don’t think it really works. I can’t get frustrated now though, I have to stay positive.
Note to Gortat — communication is global now. What you say in Polish to a Polish reporter for a Polish publication will find it’s way back to the United States quickly now.
Last season 21.6 percent of the Suns shot came off a pick-and-roll, another 20.4 percent on spot ups, while just 7.5 percent were isolations. So far this season 18.6 percent of shots are pick-and-roll (a Gortat strength), 21.3 percent on spot ups and 8.5 percent in isolation. They are 19th in the league in offensive efficiency this season.
Gortat reportedly turned down discussion of a contract extension in Phoenix (he is making $7.3 million this season $7.7 million the next). The publication also said he could be traded, but frankly on the rebuilding Suns there isn’t a player that’s not available.
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, leaves dent (VIDEO) 0
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 5
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 5
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 15
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29