Dwight Howard doesn’t care if Deron Williams isn’t his friend anymore

Nov 19, 2012, 5:53 PM EDT

Phoenix Suns v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

For years, Dwight Howard and Deron Williams talked about teaming up. They realized these kinds of super teams are the only way to compete with the Heat in the East.

And it almost came together. Williams was in Brooklyn (well, New Jersey soon to be Brooklyn) and Howard was trying to force a trade there, but the Magic screwed it up by not wanting Brook Lopez (or to send Howard where he wanted to go). Then Howard really screwed it up by waiving his early termination option — once he did that he lost a lot of trade leverage. Brooklyn’s management got tired of screwing around with it, went and got Joe Johnson and kept Lopez.

Williams is reportedly not thrilled with Howard waiving his leverage and not coming to Brooklyn.

Dwight Howard doesn’t care. Here’s his quote, thanks to Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News, via Sulia:

“That’s my decision. It’s my life so if he’s upset because I made a decision for me, so be it. If he doesn’t want to be friends because I’m on another team, then so be it. There’s no need to smooth things over, you know?”

Howard is in a position not to care because did okay for himself in the end. After getting over the whole Shaq footsteps thing, he landed on a loaded team that can contend now and plans to rebuild around him in the coming years. And in a major media market. And he’s still near a Disney resort.

D-Will, he’s on a Nets team off to a nice start in the East (6-2), but still a team nobody really trusts in going all that far when the pressure really comes. But it’s another good landing spot, even if we question their roster construction.

And do you really think at the end of the day they’re not friends anymore?

1. lew24 - Nov 19, 2012 at 6:06 PM

I heard Deron deleted him from his Facebook friends list! lol

Sounds like high school drama!

2. fruitcovejag - Nov 19, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Dwight’s sensitive. He cares. And no, I wouldn’t say this to his face!

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Nov 19, 2012 at 7:44 PM

LMAO! Props to you for your candid comment.

3. glink123 - Nov 19, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Do you honestly think any of these self-centered egomaniacs have ANY real friends in the first place? Lets be real here.

4. charlutes - Nov 19, 2012 at 6:41 PM

more importantly why would anyone ever care?

5. mbhcu98 - Nov 19, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Stop it. You care enough to leave a post so, stop ating like you don’t care. You read the article and then come to post a message? You care.

Dwight’s a weak man. He waived his early termination option so the people in Orlando will like him. There was no other reason to do it. He is a weak minded lil big man and I would say it to his face. He’s another man, not a monster.

• nlruizjr - Nov 20, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Yeah, you’d say it to his face, what a Joke, especially when he kicks your a## !!!!

6. lakerluver - Nov 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM

@mb98
    I beg to differ, you are the weak man.

7. lakerluver - Nov 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I’m glad some of Kobe’s a__hole ways are rubbing off on Dwight. The LAKERS need his phuk it attitude. He made the right decision. I like his chances of winning a title more with the LAKERS than the Nets. If Deron had been smart he would’ve gone to Dallas.

8. paulhargis53 - Nov 19, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I bet you’d like to rub Kobes a**hole.
    What a freak you are, you savage!

• teambringitstrong - Nov 19, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Stop breathing

• badintent - Nov 20, 2012 at 12:40 AM

They both should be on Nat Geo channel “Extreme Lockup”. Then we can see how the real tough guys play with them in the yard , in the solitary confinement, and the shower room.

• ocgunslinger - Nov 20, 2012 at 10:21 AM

You talking about Howard and Williams or LakerLuver and paulhargis53?

• badintent - Nov 20, 2012 at 11:29 PM

@ocgunslinger
        Both pairs ! thanks for the assist ! You dropping dimes.

• mytthor - Nov 20, 2012 at 1:03 AM

You two have this bet to see which one of you has to leave the site…is there some bet we can make that both of you will leave?

9. rudedogg13 - Nov 19, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I really don’t think anyone knows if D12 is weak or not !!!

10. rudedogg13 - Nov 19, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Go Lakers!!!!!!

11. jerdogthompson - Nov 19, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Pablohargis……..I must say half the reason I blog this is to hear your next installment. Keep up the good work bro. You always make me laugh with your hard hitting comments.

12. roadstar2k - Nov 19, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Yeah better chance of winning a title now, but wouldn’t it have been easier to build a team around Williams and Howard in future seasons? Kobe is still tuff but he and the rest of the team are in their twilight so the Lakers will be building from scratch around Howard.

13. lakerluver - Nov 19, 2012 at 11:41 PM

If he makes you laugh you must be one gigantic loser….Anyway how can he make you laugh when you’re him?!! paulhargis53/jerdogthompson are one and the same. You’re not fooling us, sir.
    #deadman walking

• saint1997 - Nov 20, 2012 at 4:46 AM

death threats? really? what a petulant and immature child you are. Grow up

14. lakerluver - Nov 19, 2012 at 11:52 PM

I guess you thought the “pablo” hargis, crap would throw us off. Dude, how many usernames do you have?!!!
    #deadman walking

15. paulhargis53 - Nov 20, 2012 at 6:54 AM

Why must. you copy EVERYTHING I TYPE??? You’ve gotten to the point if absurdity. Everyone cans see that you’re a beaten man. I’m sorry, I don’t have the time, nor the want to have more than 1 name. I’m also not a frickin lunatic like you are.

It’s just too damn bad that not are you a know nothing, you’re retaliation for me ripping on you is to mimic me like an 8 year old.

8 year old dude.

16. paulhargis53 - Nov 20, 2012 at 10:37 AM

bad: 1st off, the “tough guys” wouldn’t do anything in solitary confinement, because, you know, its solitary……

2nd of all, please don’t give lakerluver any more shower scene fantasies to think about. He’s already got a few running through that addled brain of his.
    It concerns him and the lakers, after the game,it ends with the whole team “finishing a fast break” right in his face.

Id rather share a needle with Magic Johnson than being involved in lakerluvers prison shower fantasy, thank you very much.

• badintent - Nov 20, 2012 at 11:35 PM

And here I though only the “golden shower” was lakeluver’s fantasy. My bad, I ‘m sorry.Where’s the paddle ?
      ON Extreme Lockup, some of the wack jobs in the solitary throw feces at the guards during cell inspection

17. zerole00 - Nov 20, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Well, at least they’ll always have those Sunday brunches.

See? I can make up BS like the media too.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches