Nov 19, 2012, 8:15 PM EDT
Take my word for it as someone who watches an inordinate amount of NBA League Pass, there was only two reasons to tune in to Cleveland Cavaliers games — Kyrie Irving and whoever they were playing against.
Now the Cavaliers will be without Irving — he has a hairline fracture on his left index finger and will be out for the next month, the team announced Monday night. No surgery is required, it will just be in a splint and taped up.
The injury occurred in the third quarter of the Cavaliers loss Saturday to Dallas, although at the time it was just though to be a contusion. He played against Philadelphia on Sunday and struggled to score (4-of-14 shooting), which now we know was due to more than just Jrue Holiday’s defense (although he was good).
It was a freak injury, but this is the third year in a row he has had to miss significant time (he missed 15 games last season and most of his senior year at Duke due to injuries).
Irving was fifth in the NBA in scoring per game at 22.9 points, was shooting 39 percent from three plus he was added 5.6 assists and 3.7 rebounds a game. To say he was the heart and soul of the Cavaliers offense is to understate his importance — he was the Cavaliers offense.
With him out, Donald Sloan will likely start at the point and Dion Waiters — who has struggled this season — will be asked to do more. It’s going to be a rough month for Cavaliers fans (and they already lost six in a row with Irving).
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 25
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 29
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4