Brandon Roy to undergo another right knee surgery this week

Nov 19, 2012, 2:33 AM EDT

Brandon Roy AP

If you are counting this is number seven. A seventh knee surgery. By age 28.

Brandon Roy, who has missed the Timberwolves last four games, will undergo right knee surgery next week, reports Jason Quick at the Oregonian. No timeline for Roy’s return has been set.

Ugh. Not that this wasn’t a predictable outcome, but still. Ugh. I like Roy, I like his game (well, his old game). I wanted to believe. But it always felt the storm clouds were gathering.

He was philosophical about it, the paper reports.

“I wouldn’t be disappointed either way,’’ Roy said. “If it ends in three weeks, it ends. It’s over. I’m totally satisfied with what I’ve done. I know the sacrifice and the effort that I put into coming back. It took a lot of discipline to get to where I am, that’s all I care about: how hard I’ve worked.’’

Roy signed with the Wolves this year after missing a season following the Trail Blazers using their amnesty on him because his knees had gotten to the point he couldn’t play. He said he didn’t have any cartilage left. There was a retirement press conference (which Roy later said wasn’t a retirement). Roy was a fan favorite in Portland, a three-time All-Star whose body betrayed him.

But after a year off and a variety of treatments, he thought maybe. He talked big, about starting and playing more than 30 minutes a night, like the old Roy. Then he banged his knee in the Timberwolves final preseason game and aggravated it a couple of times after that. Minnesota coach Rick Adelman tried to take it slow, but…

Now… we don’t know.

He was to return to Portland for the first time with Minnesota, but that is not going to happen.

Roy has not played well this season, he hadn’t learned to adapt his game without his trademark explosive first step. In five games he averaged 5.8 points per game on 31.4 percent shooting.

Roy has one year left on his deal with Minnesota after this, but it only becomes guaranteed if he meets certain benchmarks, including games played.

1. southpaw77 - Nov 19, 2012 at 2:46 AM

I freaking told you so!
    Back this summer I said Roy swindled the Wolves big time into another payday, there is no way in hell you go from bone on bone in your knees, retire then come back and think he would be what he was and I had people argue against me, where are they?

Maybe 10-20 years from now they’ll be ways to do this medically but not yet. Enjoy retirement Brandon, think about the rest of your life being pain free and leave the rigors of basketball alone.

2. BigBeachBall - Nov 19, 2012 at 3:57 AM

I heard oden is planning a comeback…

• badintent - Nov 20, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Yeah, as a male stripper, his dick is urban legend. ITTFOR

3. nbascreed - Nov 19, 2012 at 7:46 AM

I was a low major (volleyball lines on the court) D1 player and giving up basketball after my senior year was absolutely one of the HARDEST transitions I’ve ever had to go through. I had spent the previous 12 years of my young life living and breathing competitive basketball and there was always one more step, one more game, one more hurdle. Now with the sound of a horn it was all over. That’s it. The end. Again, it wasn’t easy.

I, for one, commend Brandon for trying to come back. He thought he could and he tried, nothing wrong with that. He didn’t hold the Wolves or the NBA over a barrel. He
    worked hard and he gave it 100%. Sure, it was clear to the rest of us that back in 2011 that his career would never be the same, but it was always HIS life and his choice. There should be no schadenfreude here. By all accounts he is a good dude, who drew some tough luck when it came to his knees. I hope he can’t get the surgical and rehabilitation he needs to live a comfortable, relatively pain free life with his family.

4. earpaniac - Nov 19, 2012 at 8:01 AM

I hate to see when it’s a player’s body that betrays him, not his actions. I wish you nothing but the best in the future, Mr. Roy. Whatever that entails.

5. abchome - Nov 19, 2012 at 8:23 AM

A gamble Minnesota bound to lose. Even walking could be challenge with no cartilage in the knee.

6. talkingfan - Nov 19, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Life after basketball, I hope you have set yourself up. A lot of company and people would love to use you for other reason. Stay clean and keep your head up. Job well done Roy.

7. packhawk04 - Nov 19, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Southpaw told us so… he was the ONLY one who saw this coming. Congrats southpaw, youre smarter than everyone else. ;)

8. rj2323 - Nov 19, 2012 at 9:26 AM

So sad

9. numba1recx19 - Nov 19, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Maybe it’s just chroni knee pain doe. What if he can get some massive painkiller and arthritis meds to play

10. RUAHORNH8R - Nov 19, 2012 at 5:12 PM

The wolves are NOT out a Ton of $$… His deal had tons of goals that needed to be met for the ” big” paydAy,
    We wouldn’t even notice if half our squad weren’t in crutches! Sad too, this team is going to be really good! Even if its whiter than a glass of milk

11. badintent - Nov 20, 2012 at 12:54 AM

The sports medicine is driving this research forward but not fast enough for Roy at this time. My own doctor gave me a choice at 52, continue to slam dunk basketballs or be on a cane by 60. With a knee replacement operation at 62. I would rather go skiing now. Hope Roy makes some smart choices for his own future. He has a long life ahead of him, would like to see him enjoy all of it with his children. he can still swim , ski, and ride horses. Good luck Roy.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches