Nov 19, 2012, 2:33 AM EDT
If you are counting this is number seven. A seventh knee surgery. By age 28.
Ugh. Not that this wasn’t a predictable outcome, but still. Ugh. I like Roy, I like his game (well, his old game). I wanted to believe. But it always felt the storm clouds were gathering.
He was philosophical about it, the paper reports.
“I wouldn’t be disappointed either way,’’ Roy said. “If it ends in three weeks, it ends. It’s over. I’m totally satisfied with what I’ve done. I know the sacrifice and the effort that I put into coming back. It took a lot of discipline to get to where I am, that’s all I care about: how hard I’ve worked.’’
Roy signed with the Wolves this year after missing a season following the Trail Blazers using their amnesty on him because his knees had gotten to the point he couldn’t play. He said he didn’t have any cartilage left. There was a retirement press conference (which Roy later said wasn’t a retirement). Roy was a fan favorite in Portland, a three-time All-Star whose body betrayed him.
But after a year off and a variety of treatments, he thought maybe. He talked big, about starting and playing more than 30 minutes a night, like the old Roy. Then he banged his knee in the Timberwolves final preseason game and aggravated it a couple of times after that. Minnesota coach Rick Adelman tried to take it slow, but…
Now… we don’t know.
He was to return to Portland for the first time with Minnesota, but that is not going to happen.
Roy has not played well this season, he hadn’t learned to adapt his game without his trademark explosive first step. In five games he averaged 5.8 points per game on 31.4 percent shooting.
Roy has one year left on his deal with Minnesota after this, but it only becomes guaranteed if he meets certain benchmarks, including games played.
- Mike Krzyzewski might coach USA Basketball in 2016 Olympics 0
- George Hill not yet cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks, remains a game-time decision 1
- Report: Bobcats changing name back to Hornets 23
- Dwyane Wade grants wish, shows up at girl’s senior prom 19
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson 58
- Live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- PFT: Teammate says Titus Young opened up to him
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay