Nov 18, 2012, 9:30 AM EDT
Rasheed Wallace’s teammates love him — because of his demeanor, because he understands the game.
Guys listen to him — and that’s the first thing a coach needs.
So why not NBA coach Rasheed Wallace? Don’t laugh. He wants it to happen, his friends told Yahoo Sports.
“I know for a fact that’s his aspiration,” says (longtime friend Bo) Donaldson. “He loves to teach. I can see him as an NBA assistant. That’s what it’ll have to be for him.”
The idea of Wallace as a coach has been discussed before – there’s even a “Coach Sheed Movement” – but it was quickly met with jokes about him getting tossed out of every game 30 seconds after the end of the national anthem….
Wallace says he isn’t thinking about his future. He shrugs off the idea of coaching. “Just playing,” he insists. But he’s clearly not “just playing.” He’s helping younger players develop their games, which is something that comes naturally for him whether in the NBA or during summer pick-up games at his old Philly high school, Simon Gratz. The media always notice his screaming at refs, but most of his talk is instructive and directed at teammates.
I don’t doubt Wallace has the teaching skills to be an assistant coach in the NBA. Like I said, guys listen to him.
But being an NBA coach is a grind. Long hours. Lots of time spent watching tape and preparing game plans. You don’t get to hang out with family much or do many of the things Sheed said he loved about retirement. I’m not sold he wants that part of the life.
Then again, who thought he would come back to the NBA? Stranger things have happened. Not many, but they have happened.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31