Nov 18, 2012, 9:30 AM EST
Rasheed Wallace’s teammates love him — because of his demeanor, because he understands the game.
Guys listen to him — and that’s the first thing a coach needs.
So why not NBA coach Rasheed Wallace? Don’t laugh. He wants it to happen, his friends told Yahoo Sports.
“I know for a fact that’s his aspiration,” says (longtime friend Bo) Donaldson. “He loves to teach. I can see him as an NBA assistant. That’s what it’ll have to be for him.”
The idea of Wallace as a coach has been discussed before – there’s even a “Coach Sheed Movement” – but it was quickly met with jokes about him getting tossed out of every game 30 seconds after the end of the national anthem….
Wallace says he isn’t thinking about his future. He shrugs off the idea of coaching. “Just playing,” he insists. But he’s clearly not “just playing.” He’s helping younger players develop their games, which is something that comes naturally for him whether in the NBA or during summer pick-up games at his old Philly high school, Simon Gratz. The media always notice his screaming at refs, but most of his talk is instructive and directed at teammates.
I don’t doubt Wallace has the teaching skills to be an assistant coach in the NBA. Like I said, guys listen to him.
But being an NBA coach is a grind. Long hours. Lots of time spent watching tape and preparing game plans. You don’t get to hang out with family much or do many of the things Sheed said he loved about retirement. I’m not sold he wants that part of the life.
Then again, who thought he would come back to the NBA? Stranger things have happened. Not many, but they have happened.
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 9
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 23
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 53
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 21
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)