Nov 17, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Smith appeared to catch Bayless with an elbow after curling around a Rasheed Wallace screen, and Bayless retaliated with a shot to the face. Both players remained in the game.
Afterward, J.R. Smith didn’t seem to understand what all of the fuss was about. From Marc Berman of the New York Post:
The 6-foot-2 Bayless shoved Smith in the face and then tried to get after the Knicks guard. A livid Bayless had to be restrained by teammates while Smith backpedaled away, laughing at the scene.
“Other than me trying to get the ball, I don’t know what he could’ve been mad at,’’ Smith said after the Knicks’ 105-95 loss to the Grizzlies, their first defeat of the season. “Some small guards have a little man’s complex. They got to work that out.’’
For the record, Smith is listed at 6’6″, and Bayless is listed at 6’3″ according to Basketball-Reference.
This “little-man complex” is apparently a thing, though, because last season Kobe Bryant said the same thing about Chris Paul after one of the games between the Lakers and the Clippers. While Bryant and Paul share the utmost respect for one another as competitors, however, it’s doubtful the same can be said about the relationship between Smith and Bayless.
[via Larry Brown Sports]
- Report: Trevor Ariza to sign 4-year, $32 million deal with Rockets 30
- Pau Gasol tweets he has chosen to play for Bulls. Only question is will it be sign-and-trade or not. 37
- LeBron James’ contract two years, $42 million with Cavaliers. That doesn’t mean he’s leaving. 34
- LeBron returns to Cleveland a more efficient, mature player that can take team further 35
- Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker shine in head-to-head Summer League matchup 19
- Posnanski: LeBron James proves he’s a true Clevelander 58
- Report: Isaiah Thomas headed to Phoenix Suns in a sign-and-trade 40
- Report: Chris Bosh re-signing with Heat over joining Rockets 89