Nov 17, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Smith appeared to catch Bayless with an elbow after curling around a Rasheed Wallace screen, and Bayless retaliated with a shot to the face. Both players remained in the game.
Afterward, J.R. Smith didn’t seem to understand what all of the fuss was about. From Marc Berman of the New York Post:
The 6-foot-2 Bayless shoved Smith in the face and then tried to get after the Knicks guard. A livid Bayless had to be restrained by teammates while Smith backpedaled away, laughing at the scene.
“Other than me trying to get the ball, I don’t know what he could’ve been mad at,’’ Smith said after the Knicks’ 105-95 loss to the Grizzlies, their first defeat of the season. “Some small guards have a little man’s complex. They got to work that out.’’
For the record, Smith is listed at 6’6″, and Bayless is listed at 6’3″ according to Basketball-Reference.
This “little-man complex” is apparently a thing, though, because last season Kobe Bryant said the same thing about Chris Paul after one of the games between the Lakers and the Clippers. While Bryant and Paul share the utmost respect for one another as competitors, however, it’s doubtful the same can be said about the relationship between Smith and Bayless.
[via Larry Brown Sports]
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18