Nov 17, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Smith appeared to catch Bayless with an elbow after curling around a Rasheed Wallace screen, and Bayless retaliated with a shot to the face. Both players remained in the game.
Afterward, J.R. Smith didn’t seem to understand what all of the fuss was about. From Marc Berman of the New York Post:
The 6-foot-2 Bayless shoved Smith in the face and then tried to get after the Knicks guard. A livid Bayless had to be restrained by teammates while Smith backpedaled away, laughing at the scene.
“Other than me trying to get the ball, I don’t know what he could’ve been mad at,’’ Smith said after the Knicks’ 105-95 loss to the Grizzlies, their first defeat of the season. “Some small guards have a little man’s complex. They got to work that out.’’
For the record, Smith is listed at 6’6″, and Bayless is listed at 6’3″ according to Basketball-Reference.
This “little-man complex” is apparently a thing, though, because last season Kobe Bryant said the same thing about Chris Paul after one of the games between the Lakers and the Clippers. While Bryant and Paul share the utmost respect for one another as competitors, however, it’s doubtful the same can be said about the relationship between Smith and Bayless.
[via Larry Brown Sports]
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 20
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 18
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 17
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 24
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80