Nov 16, 2012, 1:06 PM EDT
Shawn Marion has been nursing a sprained right knee and has missed the Mavericks last five games trying to get healthy. It looks as though he’s at the point where he’s good enough to give it a go and plans to play Friday night when the Mavs visit the Indiana Pacers.
“I’m gonna give it a shot,” Marion told reporters after the morning shootaround in Indiana.
In the five games Marion missed, the Mavericks went 2-3 and have sorely missed the versatile forward’s all-around game on both sides of the ball.
Marion is key to the Mavs’ offensive schemes as a slasher who can also space the floor as a small-ball power forward. His in-between game is one of the key reasons the Mavs started 3-1 even though Dirk Nowitzki has been sidelined with his own knee issues.
Defensively Marion is even more important as his quickness, length and athleticism allows him to cover four positions with great success. When you combine this versatility with his work on the glass, Marion is easily the team’s second most important player behind Dirk.
On the season Marion is averaging 8 points and a team high 9 rebounds. Dallas can use that production but having his presence on the floor will help even if he’s not yet 100%.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 3
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 9
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 29
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6