Nov 16, 2012, 1:06 PM EDT
Shawn Marion has been nursing a sprained right knee and has missed the Mavericks last five games trying to get healthy. It looks as though he’s at the point where he’s good enough to give it a go and plans to play Friday night when the Mavs visit the Indiana Pacers.
“I’m gonna give it a shot,” Marion told reporters after the morning shootaround in Indiana.
In the five games Marion missed, the Mavericks went 2-3 and have sorely missed the versatile forward’s all-around game on both sides of the ball.
Marion is key to the Mavs’ offensive schemes as a slasher who can also space the floor as a small-ball power forward. His in-between game is one of the key reasons the Mavs started 3-1 even though Dirk Nowitzki has been sidelined with his own knee issues.
Defensively Marion is even more important as his quickness, length and athleticism allows him to cover four positions with great success. When you combine this versatility with his work on the glass, Marion is easily the team’s second most important player behind Dirk.
On the season Marion is averaging 8 points and a team high 9 rebounds. Dallas can use that production but having his presence on the floor will help even if he’s not yet 100%.
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 2
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 28
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LIVE: Heat, Pacers go to overtime in Game 1
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games