Nov 16, 2012, 1:06 PM EDT
Shawn Marion has been nursing a sprained right knee and has missed the Mavericks last five games trying to get healthy. It looks as though he’s at the point where he’s good enough to give it a go and plans to play Friday night when the Mavs visit the Indiana Pacers.
“I’m gonna give it a shot,” Marion told reporters after the morning shootaround in Indiana.
In the five games Marion missed, the Mavericks went 2-3 and have sorely missed the versatile forward’s all-around game on both sides of the ball.
Marion is key to the Mavs’ offensive schemes as a slasher who can also space the floor as a small-ball power forward. His in-between game is one of the key reasons the Mavs started 3-1 even though Dirk Nowitzki has been sidelined with his own knee issues.
Defensively Marion is even more important as his quickness, length and athleticism allows him to cover four positions with great success. When you combine this versatility with his work on the glass, Marion is easily the team’s second most important player behind Dirk.
On the season Marion is averaging 8 points and a team high 9 rebounds. Dallas can use that production but having his presence on the floor will help even if he’s not yet 100%.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 9
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29