Nov 16, 2012, 1:06 PM EDT
Shawn Marion has been nursing a sprained right knee and has missed the Mavericks last five games trying to get healthy. It looks as though he’s at the point where he’s good enough to give it a go and plans to play Friday night when the Mavs visit the Indiana Pacers.
“I’m gonna give it a shot,” Marion told reporters after the morning shootaround in Indiana.
In the five games Marion missed, the Mavericks went 2-3 and have sorely missed the versatile forward’s all-around game on both sides of the ball.
Marion is key to the Mavs’ offensive schemes as a slasher who can also space the floor as a small-ball power forward. His in-between game is one of the key reasons the Mavs started 3-1 even though Dirk Nowitzki has been sidelined with his own knee issues.
Defensively Marion is even more important as his quickness, length and athleticism allows him to cover four positions with great success. When you combine this versatility with his work on the glass, Marion is easily the team’s second most important player behind Dirk.
On the season Marion is averaging 8 points and a team high 9 rebounds. Dallas can use that production but having his presence on the floor will help even if he’s not yet 100%.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 60
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59