Nov 16, 2012, 3:49 PM EDT
A number of NBA teams have been buying D-League franchises, turning them into more of a true minor league — it’s never going to be like baseball because only a guy or two at a time might benefit from D-League style seasoning. But it makes sense if you are building a team to have that outlet.
The 76ers are building a team around young players (and Andrew Bynum) and they are looking at getting a D-League side.
Liberty Ballers (with a major assist from Spike Eskin) can exclusively tell you that they’re very close to buying an NBA Developmental League Franchise outright. Nothing is quite official yet, so the organization is keeping understandably mum about the whole thing.
CEO and friend of the blog Adam Aron told me the Sixers are “carefully considering what opportunities may be available to the 76ers in the NBA D-League. The possibilities are intriguing.”
Which team? They are reporting the currently not operating Utah Flash.
Last year, the owner of the Flash, Brandt Anderson (the douche who tried to get the Michael Jordan vs. Byron Russell one-on-one publicity stunt to happen) tried to sell the team to focus on his other businesses. His asking price was way high and nobody bit. So the team was suspended, all employees were let go, and the Utah Flash had been dark since losing to Iowa in the 2011 playoffs.
Buy the rights to the franchise and the Sixers can move it wherever they want. Likely somewhere a whole lot closer to Philly.
This move would make a lot of sense for the 76ers. We’ll see if it becomes a reality.
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 0
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36