Nov 16, 2012, 3:49 PM EDT
A number of NBA teams have been buying D-League franchises, turning them into more of a true minor league — it’s never going to be like baseball because only a guy or two at a time might benefit from D-League style seasoning. But it makes sense if you are building a team to have that outlet.
The 76ers are building a team around young players (and Andrew Bynum) and they are looking at getting a D-League side.
Liberty Ballers (with a major assist from Spike Eskin) can exclusively tell you that they’re very close to buying an NBA Developmental League Franchise outright. Nothing is quite official yet, so the organization is keeping understandably mum about the whole thing.
CEO and friend of the blog Adam Aron told me the Sixers are “carefully considering what opportunities may be available to the 76ers in the NBA D-League. The possibilities are intriguing.”
Which team? They are reporting the currently not operating Utah Flash.
Last year, the owner of the Flash, Brandt Anderson (the douche who tried to get the Michael Jordan vs. Byron Russell one-on-one publicity stunt to happen) tried to sell the team to focus on his other businesses. His asking price was way high and nobody bit. So the team was suspended, all employees were let go, and the Utah Flash had been dark since losing to Iowa in the 2011 playoffs.
Buy the rights to the franchise and the Sixers can move it wherever they want. Likely somewhere a whole lot closer to Philly.
This move would make a lot of sense for the 76ers. We’ll see if it becomes a reality.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 0
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 8
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4