Nov 16, 2012, 10:04 PM EDT
Kevin Martin of the Oklahoma City Thunder became the third player to receive a warning for flopping under the NBA’s new policy, but his infraction was a little bit different than those who have been warned earlier this season.
While J.J. Barea and Donald Sloan received similar warnings for infractions that occurred on the defensive end of the floor, Martin’s warning came after he seemed to be the recipient of a foul on the offensive end, after releasing a shot from behind the three-point arc.
The play occurred with 10:16 remaining in the fourth quarter of the game between the Thunder and the Pistons on Nov. 12.
I’ve seen a lot of basketball from the time the first warnings were issued and the time Martin received this one, and I can tell you there have been far worse offenders than this. But the league is clearly trying to send a message, one that says in part that they’d like to eliminate players trying to get a favorable call from the officials by falling down intentionally after receiving minimal contact on a shot attempt.
This description fits Martin’s action here perfectly, so the warning, in the league’s eyes, was justified.
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 0
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 9
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 44
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 17
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 44
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (75)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record