Kawhi Leonard out up to two weeks due to tendinitis in his left knee

Nov 16, 2012, 5:12 PM EST

Kawhi Leonard

This is potentially a big blow to the San Antonio Spurs, though it’s one that is expected to only impact them for a relatively short time.

Kawhi Leonard will be out 10-14 days due to quadriceps tendinitis in his left knee, the team announced in an official release. He won’t travel with the team on its upcoming six-game road trip, which begins Nov. 21 in Boston. An MRI was taken on Friday which confirmed the diagnosis.

Leonard is one of the Spurs’ top defensive players, both individually and in the team’s collective scheme. He’s coming along as a more-than-decent option offensively as well, so San Antonio will feel his absence on both ends of the floor.

Options for the Spurs to go to as a starting lineup replacement for Leonard include Stephen Jackson, Tiago Splitter, and Matt Bonner.

Leonard played 33 minutes in Thursday night’s loss to the Knicks, and finished with 16 points, nine rebounds, and two steals, while helping to hold Carmelo Anthony to just nine points on 3-of-12 shooting.

1. goraidersgospurs - Nov 16, 2012 at 5:21 PM

This hurts, but I have faith in (Capt.Jack) to step up!!!

2. windycity52 - Nov 16, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Captain Jack!

3. bowwserr - Nov 16, 2012 at 5:54 PM

As much as we all know that Stephen Jackson can come in a be a more-than-viable replacement for Kawhi, this is still very unfortunate news for a fantastic young player, a player that some, myself included, think can be the next staple of this team, the next Admiral or Timmy.

Slightly unrelated to this topic, however, is my curiosity in Matt Bonner. I’ve missed maybe five or six games the last 3 seasons, so I know that sometimes he doesn’t play because we simply don’t need him, with as much depth as this Spurs team has. But, and correct me if I’m wrong, I don’t know that I’ve seen him in any but 3 or 4 games this season. Curious why that is. Curious why he didn’t play last night, when I think we were all aware it would come down to who hit more 3s.

4. savvybynature - Nov 17, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Kid plays the game the right way. Hope he has a complete and speedy recovery.

5. kavika6 - Nov 18, 2012 at 7:09 AM

Love the way he’s handled kobe and anthony.

6. diamondmo33 - Nov 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Pacers should have kept him.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches