Nov 16, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
This is potentially a big blow to the San Antonio Spurs, though it’s one that is expected to only impact them for a relatively short time.
Kawhi Leonard will be out 10-14 days due to quadriceps tendinitis in his left knee, the team announced in an official release. He won’t travel with the team on its upcoming six-game road trip, which begins Nov. 21 in Boston. An MRI was taken on Friday which confirmed the diagnosis.
Leonard is one of the Spurs’ top defensive players, both individually and in the team’s collective scheme. He’s coming along as a more-than-decent option offensively as well, so San Antonio will feel his absence on both ends of the floor.
Leonard played 33 minutes in Thursday night’s loss to the Knicks, and finished with 16 points, nine rebounds, and two steals, while helping to hold Carmelo Anthony to just nine points on 3-of-12 shooting.
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 9
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 29
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 31
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 42
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24