Nov 15, 2012, 2:00 AM EST
There were some fantastic performances on the court Wednesday night, but if you want to know what people were buzzing about on twitter it was that photo to the right — Andrew Bynum’s hair. Which I can’t describe, but it’s buzz worthy. I think the face of the guy to Bynum’s left really says it all.
That haircut is enough to get Bynum an “honorable” mention, but as he has yet to set foot on the hardwood (and who knows when he will) he does not get one of the coveted PBT three stars of the night slots.
Third Star: James Harden — 30 points (on 10-of-20 shooting), 4 assists
This looked like the James Harden of the first couple games this season — he was slashing and getting into the lane at will against the Hornets. Those drives were key to sparking a 39-18 second quarter when the Rockets tried to pull away. In the second half the Hornets changed plans and threw multiple defenders at Harden and that slowed him down (3 points in the third). He has to learn how to adapt to those defenses. Still, monster night for the beard.
Second Star: Rudy Gay — 28 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists
The Grizzlies are for real and Rudy Gay is a key part of that — he was putting up points at will (after the dismal first quarter that was all Thunder). But the real key was late in the third quarter: Oklahoma City made a run and cut the Memphis lead to six and it was Gay knocking down three consecutive midrange jumpers to give the Grizzlies control again.
First Star: Kemba Walker — 22 points, 5 assists, 4 steals
He looked like the Kemba Walker that used to wear a UConn and could take over games. He had 8 points in the first quarter but more important was the efficient play most of the night. Oh, yea, and the game winner. The Timberwolves had all the momentum after a comeback, then getting to tie the game when Reggie Williams went Chris Webber and called a timeout when the team had none left. But Walker bailed them out with this shot.
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 1
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 0
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 4
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 4
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 18
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)