Nov 15, 2012, 10:40 AM EDT
It wasn’t a fight. But it was close.
With 2:05 left in the game, they lined up across each other across the free throw lane as Russell Westbrook shot and the verbal taunts didn’t end (with talk of fighting after the game near the team bus), and the referees had enough. Both were ejected from the game.
But that wasn’t the end of it, reports the Oklahoman.
After the two players were separated, Perkins ran off the court in front of the Thunder bench and into a hallway, where he had another altercation with Randolph outside the postgame interview room next to the Thunder locker room.
The players were separated by Oklahoma City police officers. People in the postgame interview area heard something being slammed against the door.
Perkins wouldn’t discuss it after the game. Zach Randolph downplayed it.
“It wasn’t nothin’. It was a good, tough, hard-fought game. It was competitive, just out there playing, two physical teams that want to win, a lot of emotions flying, so just part of basketball.”
Arena security decided not to take any further action following the incident in the hallway. We’ll see if the league office feels the same way.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 7
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 27
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 26
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10