Nov 14, 2012, 3:14 PM EDT
During the NBA lockout, we all got frustrated watching the owners and argue over how to divide up $4 billion in revenue. Billion. With a “B.”
Now, make that $5 billion.
That is what NBA Commissioner David Stern said speaking Tuesday at Beyond Sport United conference in New York, according to the Associated Press.
The $5 billion figure is considerably higher than the $4.3 billion estimated that would come in under the BRI this season (via NBA CBA FAQ from the brilliant Larry Coon).
The owners will get a higher share of that revenue — under the old CBA the players were guaranteed 57 percent of the league’s revenue, that falls to 50 percent this year under the new CBA. Hopefully now, somehow, these poor men can find a way to turn a meager profit (*cough*).
The increase in revenues shows fans and sponsors did not leave the league during the lockout. It shows that local television deals are up, as is the spread of the NBA brand globally. You can also chalk some of this up to an economy starting to find it’s footing and turn around (we hope).
In case you’re curious, the NFL has revenues of around $9 billion and MLB around $7.5 billion.
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 27
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 14
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 35
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 13
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 22
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (107)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead