Nash talks being reunited (and it feels so good) with D’Antoni

Nov 14, 2012, 11:01 AM EDT

Mike D'Antoni Steve Nash Getty Images

You knew Steve Nash would like the Mike D’Antoni hiring by the Lakers.

Once he gets his leg healed, and if he can stay healthy, Nash will become the key to the Lakers offense. They are going to run a lot of pick-and-roll and while Kobe Bryant showed Tuesday night against the Spurs he can certainly be the ball handler there and be effective, Nash should be back at home.

So yes, he’s happy, he told Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated.

“I never would’ve predicted him being here as we get a chance to work together again, especially here with this team. I’m thrilled, but definitely shocked as well. I didn’t see it coming. Everything has happened so fast.”

Like everyone, Nash thought it was Phil Jackson getting the job.

“Well I mean, of course. In some ways, I thought it was Phil, and so I was geared up for that, and excited in a totally different respect because of his experience and success, and particularly here with this organization. That would have been a whole different circumstance that I would’ve been excited for as well. But I’m back with Mike and thrilled.”

There was a sense that D’Antoni was too wed to his system, too ridged in New York and that led to his problems coaching the Knicks. The Lakers are not the 2006 Suns in terms of youth and athleticism. Can he adapt?

“Yeah, I think he’ll adapt. I think that’s one of Mike’s strengths, is that he’s a thinker and that he’s willing to adapt. He’s great in-game, and I think he’s also great going back and looking over a game, looking over a month and saying, ‘Look, I think this will help our team,’ and shifting toward something that suits the parts. That’s just one of the things that I think he’s terrific at and a strength of his. You know, I’m sure he’ll adjust to the group. I’m sure there will be a lot of familiarity with the old Mike teams, but at the same time we’ll adjust somewhere to the natural place where this team is going to succeed.”

Asking Nash what he thinks of D’Antoni is pretty much like asking the head of the Democratic Party what he thought of a Barack Obama debate performance. You know the answer whether you believe it or not. Nash said he thinks with this Lakers roster (read: Dwight Howard) he will have a good defensive team. That’s at least some spin.

D’Antoni has gotten a huge chance here, we’ll see what he does with it.

Latest Posts
  1. Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments

Jul 29, 2015, 12:05 AM EDT

Celebrities At Game 3 Of The Lakers/Suns Getty Images

Cuban said presidential candidate is ‘probably the best thing to happen to politics in a long, long time’

2. Report: Warriors to sign Ian Clark

Jul 28, 2015, 11:09 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Could former summer-league standout fill Golden State’s need for an off-the-bench shooter?

3. Mavericks sign Jamil Wilson, Brandon Ashley

Jul 28, 2015, 9:16 PM EDT

Washington Wizards vs New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Dallas also reportedly talking to Salah Mejri

4. Report: Serge Ibaka not yet cleared to play after March surgery

Jul 28, 2015, 8:19 PM EDT

"Son Of The Congo" - 2015 SXSW Music, Film + Interactive Festival Getty Images

Thunder power forward was scheduled to play in African exhibition game

5. Heat sign Josh Richardson

Jul 28, 2015, 7:24 PM EDT

Josh Richardson, Spencer Dinwiddle AP

Miami cleared roster room for second-round pick

6. Nicolas Batum responds to Toronto rumor in hysterical fashion

Jul 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

I can tell you where Batum will land next summer — whichever team offers him the most money.

7. Report: Knicks, Lakers, Wizards still interested in Kevin Seraphin

Jul 28, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT

Washington Wizards v Charlotte Hornets Getty Images

The Lakers and Knicks don’t make a ton of sense for him.

8. Former NBA All-Star Vin Baker training to be Starbucks manager

Jul 28, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT

Vin Baker AP

He’s been sober four years, which is most important.

9. Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick

Jul 28, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT

Michael Jordan Michael Jordan

Did Michael Jordan hijack the draft process in Charlotte again?

10. Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign

Jul 28, 2015, 1:54 PM EDT

Scott Walker Scott Walker

Walker is expected to sign the bill to allocate funds for a new arena.

11. Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov: “We had a really good offseason.”

Jul 28, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT

Mikhail Prokhorov Mikhail Prokhorov

The Nets added solid role players in addition to re-signing Brook Lopez and Thaddeus Young.

12. Report: Clippers center Ekpe Udoh signs one-year deal in Turkey

Jul 28, 2015, 1:20 PM EDT

Ekpe Udoh Ekpe Udoh

Udoh played five seasons with the Warriors, Bucks and Clippers.

13. Matt Barnes on Serge Ibaka: “He’s just dirty.”

Jul 28, 2015, 12:59 PM EDT

Serge Ibaka, Jeff Green Serge Ibaka, Jeff Green

Barnes hasn’t forgotten Ibaka’s altercations with Blake Griffin.

14. Karl-Anthony Towns: I want Kevin Garnett to teach me “how to be a champion”

Jul 28, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Minnesota Timberwolves Getty Images

Garnett came out to Summer League practices to work with Towns.

15. Mason Plumlee rapping? Yes, Mason Plumlee rapping. (VIDEO)

Jul 28, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Detroit Pistons Getty Images

Mason Plumlee with a money gun shooting $100s.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches