Nash talks being reunited (and it feels so good) with D’Antoni

Nov 14, 2012, 11:01 AM EST

Mike D'Antoni Steve Nash Getty Images

You knew Steve Nash would like the Mike D’Antoni hiring by the Lakers.

Once he gets his leg healed, and if he can stay healthy, Nash will become the key to the Lakers offense. They are going to run a lot of pick-and-roll and while Kobe Bryant showed Tuesday night against the Spurs he can certainly be the ball handler there and be effective, Nash should be back at home.

So yes, he’s happy, he told Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated.

“I never would’ve predicted him being here as we get a chance to work together again, especially here with this team. I’m thrilled, but definitely shocked as well. I didn’t see it coming. Everything has happened so fast.”

Like everyone, Nash thought it was Phil Jackson getting the job.

“Well I mean, of course. In some ways, I thought it was Phil, and so I was geared up for that, and excited in a totally different respect because of his experience and success, and particularly here with this organization. That would have been a whole different circumstance that I would’ve been excited for as well. But I’m back with Mike and thrilled.”

There was a sense that D’Antoni was too wed to his system, too ridged in New York and that led to his problems coaching the Knicks. The Lakers are not the 2006 Suns in terms of youth and athleticism. Can he adapt?

“Yeah, I think he’ll adapt. I think that’s one of Mike’s strengths, is that he’s a thinker and that he’s willing to adapt. He’s great in-game, and I think he’s also great going back and looking over a game, looking over a month and saying, ‘Look, I think this will help our team,’ and shifting toward something that suits the parts. That’s just one of the things that I think he’s terrific at and a strength of his. You know, I’m sure he’ll adjust to the group. I’m sure there will be a lot of familiarity with the old Mike teams, but at the same time we’ll adjust somewhere to the natural place where this team is going to succeed.”

Asking Nash what he thinks of D’Antoni is pretty much like asking the head of the Democratic Party what he thought of a Barack Obama debate performance. You know the answer whether you believe it or not. Nash said he thinks with this Lakers roster (read: Dwight Howard) he will have a good defensive team. That’s at least some spin.

D’Antoni has gotten a huge chance here, we’ll see what he does with it.

1. andycapozello - Nov 14, 2012 at 11:40 AM

but mike is a terrible coach so ultimately this won’t work.

• patfic15 - Nov 14, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Hey Mike Brown, stop with the andycapozello alias, k?

2. ambitoos - Nov 14, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I like what Jim Buss is doing. It’s time for the Lakers to move on from the Phil Jackson era and go back to the run and gun of the Magic Johnson era. It was much more exciting.

3. lakerluver - Nov 14, 2012 at 4:16 PM

CAN’T WAIT!!!

4. delusionalcardsfan - Nov 14, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Yep, and we didn’t see you goin to the enemy either. Have fun losing in the playoffs; you’re both pretty used to doing that together! GO SUNS!!

5. paulhargis53 - Nov 14, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I bet you have a 1/2 pack of rolaids in your laker underoos, don’t you lakerslurper? Pathetic pos.

6. 20dollardinners - Nov 15, 2012 at 12:06 AM

+1 for the debate comparison – so true

7. omniusprime - Nov 15, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I wasn’t thrilled with the hiring of Ancient Nash when the Lakers need a great young point guard who can play defense, something Ancient Nash was never accused of playing. I’m even less thrilled by the hiring of DumbToni and his 7 second premature ejaculation offense. If DumbToni doesn’t win a championship this year then he’d better be toast in LA. I seriously don’t think DumbToni has the intelligence to come up with the proper offense and defense needed to win a championship and I won’t waste my time watching them go down in flames.

Bring Back Phil Jackson and Fire that little idiot buss boy!

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches