Magic Johnson “mourning” Lakers not hiring Phil Jackson. Ugh.

Nov 14, 2012, 4:49 PM EDT

Magic Johnson Getty Images

I have the utmost respect for Magic Johnson the basketball player. I think he gets shortchanged in GOAT conversations, a guy who broke the mold and would have fit it brilliantly in today’s NBA undergoing a positional revolution because guys are trying to develop the varried skill set he had.

I think Johnson should be remembered more for what he did off the court. How he became a symbol that helped change perceptions and the debate about HIV and AIDS. How as a businessman he succeed by bringing amenities to parts of Los Angeles that were underserved by large corporations only looking at spreadsheets. He is a towering figure in the city.

Magic Johnson the basketball analyst… I don’t really have much use for. Everyone can have an opinion, let’s just say mine and his disagree quite often. So when I see what he tweeted Wednesday, I just shrug.

Really Magic? Mourning?

I know you feel full of yourself following the “I told you so” about hiring Mike Brown. I know you have a business relationship with Jackson and you two are friends. Still…

Get over it.

Which frankly is what Lakers fans are doing. Listing to talk radio and just talking to people here in Los Angeles, they would have preferred Jackson, but most of them were ready to dump Mike Brown in July (which is when the Lakers should have done it if they were going to make a move). They gladly will take D’Antoni over Brown. They watched a Lakers team the last three games and seen a squad freed from an overly complicated offense that had the team thinking and not just reacting — and they have seen a Lakers team start to come together. Yes, they lost to the Spurs Tuesday, but the Brown coached Lakers of the week before would have been crushed against these Spurs.

Mike D’Antoni brings an offense that is not a perfect fit, he brings questions about defense, but he also brings hope. Something Lakers fans were losing under Brown.

Magic, get over it. And realize that if you’re really a Lakers fan you have to come around — you can’t root against a team out of spite for the coach. Then you come off like those 1972 Dolphins players.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to get back to mourning about how the Dodgers played this season.

1. edwardsro - Nov 14, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I totally agree everyone needs to calm down and give mike a chance

2. the1line - Nov 14, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Magic wrote 2 sentences and you responded with 100…

3. cambodianbreastmilk - Nov 14, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Magic Johnson should STFU. All that money spent on the Dodgers with heavy influence from him, one of the largest trades in baseball history, and they can’t even manage to make the playoffs. But yeah, trust him on Phil Jackson cause he knows what he’s talking about. Moron.

• djlexluger - Nov 14, 2012 at 5:24 PM

You should delete this post, you sound like an idiot.

• rforr3tard3d - Nov 14, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Equating Magic’s young baseball ownership record to his record as one of the greatest NBA players of all time who might know a thing or two about the sport is pretty stupid.

• badintent - Nov 14, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Like your take on Magic, but just how is the milk ? Is it got milk ? or better ?

4. captainwisdom8888 - Nov 14, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Of course the people of LA got over it quickly, the sports fans in that city are a different breed. Your average Lakers fan is equally as interested in whose sitting next to the court, as well as what they’re wearing, compared to whose actually ON the court. The “fans” in LA are only fans when their particular team is doing well, and as the Dodgers would tell you…sometimes not even then.

There are certainly die-hard fans in every corner of the of the nation, but it seems to me that LA doesn’t exactly live and die with their sports teams quite like other cities

5. paulhargis53 - Nov 14, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I can’t believe they still have this lump on a pregame show. He can’t control his bias for the lakers.It clouds his judgement,(which is questionable at best) He talks like he has a moutheful of marbles too.

Him and Wilbon are the 2 most annoying guys on there, at least Wilbon us impartial though.

• kinggw - Nov 14, 2012 at 7:50 PM

As bad as Magic is, and he is god awful, Bill Simmons is far and away the worst personality on that panel.

6. jeffw - Nov 14, 2012 at 6:19 PM

“Magic, get over it. And realize that if you’re really a Lakers fan you have to come around — you can’t root against a team out of spite for the coach…

Kurt, you need to learn to actually comprehend what your reading. Your statement is ridiculous. Magic never said ANYTHING about rooting against the Lakers. He basically said he didn’t agree with D’Antoni over Phil as the hire.

I understand you don’t like Magic, but your spin on this makes you look like an idiot.

7. bushido49ers - Nov 14, 2012 at 6:21 PM

You don’t have much use for his opinion, Mr. Helin? My love for the Lakers and Magic aside, I’ll take his word over yours most of the time. Why? Because he’s played the game and understands what winning is all about.

We all have things we must tolerate. Like your opinions in written form as posted on this site.

Cheers!

8. djjackson81 - Nov 14, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Shut the hell up morning the loss of hiring Phil. Suck it up fakers

9. lakerluver - Nov 14, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I agree with you completely, Kurt. Magic (along with Kobe) is my fave LAKER. But this fawning over Phil has to end. I mean Phil didn’t die!! It’s one thing if the fans do it. But for, “arguably” the franchises best player ever, to do it is not right. I didn’t like the way he openly criticized Mike Brown either. Initially I was disappointed the LAKERS didn’t bring Phil back. But maybe going in a different direction will be good. We shall see.

10. 1historian - Nov 14, 2012 at 6:40 PM

This was a decent piece – not too good not too bad, then he made that snarky little crack about the 1972 Dolphins.
    It would be interesting to know how old this clown is.

To recap – In the 80 or so years of the NFL only one team has won all its season games and then the overall championship – the 1972 Dolphins. This being 40 years ago, they are all old farts now and legend has it that when the last unbeaten team goes down every season – the remaining players get together and celebrate.

As is their right, as they should. I think it’s great. It’s one of the many bennies of being an old fart.

Kuirt – you write like a young squirt, possibly a punk if you keep at it, but if you keep up like this you will NEVER be an old fart.

Why do you begrudge old men their pleasures?

11. hoodheisman - Nov 14, 2012 at 7:01 PM

It’s not what you say, it’s how you say it.

Magic: 1
    Kurt: 0

12. tfoz5150 - Nov 14, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I happen to think Magic is absolutely right. I can’t stand the guy normally, but this time I whole-heartedly agree with him. You can’t sit here and tell me Laker nation that the day before D’Antoni’s hiring that all of you weren’t simply salivating over the notion that Phil Jackson was coming home to roost. Only to do do this 180* about face (media strongly aided) about how D’Antoni is suddenly this perfect fit. I’M NOT BUYING IT!!! If this bullsh!t happened in Philly, there would be no way anybody would be at “peace” with it. You guys should be pissed off and be venting about it. This whole D’Antoni’s the better pick really comes off hollow.

13. e39er - Nov 14, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Say what?? The man won 5 rings as far as I’m concern he is entitled to his opinion, he’s a better analyst who actually played the game then that fake Skip Bayless, while he should support the Lakers but at the same time he said what 50% of Laker fans believed…that Phil Jax is better than Mike D’Antoni

14. pricejustin24 - Nov 14, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Another gem Helin. Jaggov

15. sdlakerfan - Nov 14, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Why exactly doesn’t Magic have a right to an opinion? Fact is most Laker fans were hoping to have Phil so his opinion is the mainstream opinion. I’m sure he didn’t mean any disrespect to D’Antoni.

16. philtration - Nov 14, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Ugh?
    Now you know how the rest of us feel about your gushing over LeBron Kurt.

17. eugenesaxe - Nov 14, 2012 at 8:27 PM

“My mother always taught me that if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”

And yet he keeps running his mouth. He’s being just as childish and disingenuous as Buss.
    Try running YOUR team instead.

• badintent - Nov 15, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Damn Right ! Why it comes to the Lakers ,the guy is an oxymoron wrapped in a trailer trash chilli dog wrapper. He threw Brown under the bus a looong time ago.

18. jerdogthompson - Nov 14, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I’m not a Laker fan (well documented) but someone needs to apply a gag order on Magic. He has too much of a soapbox in which his comments make major sports news. Now where’s my AIDS cocktail? That’s a better headline. Get with it writers.

19. 20dollardinners - Nov 15, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Magic is 100% right.

11 rings versus 0 (with 0 finals).

Last time I checked defense and depth win championships. Mike bring a no-defense approach and tight rotations.

This is a fail.

20. jedifriedchicken - Nov 15, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Jimmy Buss is a bum, and a coward. I’m pissed as a laker fan. The TV rights deal, 95% reassurance, the treatment of Phil, the unanimous three, Mitch taking the blame while Jimmy lodes in hiding. What a clusterf***. Two steps forward, one step back. Is this what we have to look forward in our Laker leadership, and treatment of the fans?

21. BigBeachBall - Nov 15, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Why not just get Phil Jackson??? He’s right there in LA…. Jim Buss needs to get his head examined…

• badintent - Nov 15, 2012 at 7:50 PM

He’s at Malibu, with a doobie and Jenny watching the dolphins play at the bird park. My favorite place in LA

22. omniusprime - Nov 15, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I have the utmost respect for Kurt Helin, really I do. NOT!!!! Kurt Helin is the most ignorant sport pundit there is, and this slimy article proves it. Anyone who leads off saying he has respect for someone is lying, so Kurt screw you for not giving Magic his proper due. Magic is far more intelligent about basketball and the Lakers than you could ever be. I’m also in mourning for that little idiot buss boy not making the smart decision and hiring Phil Jackson. Mark my words, the Lakers will never win a championship with DumbToni as coach!

Oh BTW I’m with you on feeling sad about how the Dodgers played this season, smartest thing you said in the whole damned article!

23. davidcl77 - Nov 15, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Well, big boy, they didn’t hire Phil. Maybe they should have hired you so you could quit in about a week like you did in the 90’s. Now shut that trap!

24. abchome - Nov 15, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Magic’s right. Welcome to the Jim Bust era!

The list of championship contenders
Top 10 NBA Player Searches