Game of the Night: Spurs oust Lakers with a great play at the end

Nov 14, 2012, 1:54 AM EST

San Antonio Spurs Stephen Jackson, Tim Duncan, and Tiago Splitter of Brazil celebrate after they defeated the Los Angeles Lakers during their NBA basketball game in Los Angeles

On a night where Kobe Bryant was brilliant and the best player on the floor, it was the Spurs and a great play design by Greg Popovich that was the difference at the end.

With the Lakers up by a single point with 19 seconds left, the Spurs inbounded the ball in the back court and walked the ball up with Tony Parker.

When he crossed half court he passed the ball to Tim Duncan who then handed the ball off to Kawhi Leonard. After giving the ball up, Duncan slid down the right lane line and set another screen for Danny Green who had just set a pick for Stephen Jackson along the baseline. Green popped free outside the three point line, got the pass in rhythm, and knocked down the jumper as Kobe couldn’t get out to him in time.

With the Lakers now trailing they had their own shot to win but couldn’t come up with nearly as creative a play to get off a good shot. Pau Gasol got the inbound in the corner, looked for Kobe to break open, and when it didn’t happen he fired up a three pointer of his own that bounced harmlessly off the rim. Ball game, Spurs.

While the final possessions will get most of the attention, this game was about much more than those last 20 seconds.

The Lakers fought hard in looking to get their third straight win. If they’d played this hard for Mike Brown, he still might be pacing the Lakers’ sidelines.  Instead, Bernie Bickerstaff benefitted from the defensive effort to stifle the Spurs’ offense (San Antonio shot 38.9% from the floor) and the board work his team provided (the Lakers outrebounded the Spurs 48-38) to give his team a shot to win the game.

The Spurs also played well on defense and that’s reflected in the 84-82 final score. San Antonio crowded the paint and dared the Lakers to hit shots form the outside. But when the Lakers had trouble hitting their jumpers, it only encouraged the Spurs to double team the Lakers’ big men more. Dwight Howard (6 turnovers) struggled with the extra defensive attention and Pau Gasol couldn’t hit enough shots (3-10 from the floor, 10 points) to make the defense pay for leaving him open.

That led to Kobe Bryant having the carry the Lakers’ offense and he did a fine job of it. Kobe hit 12-19 shots from the floor to score 28 points (chipping in 8 assists too) and did a great job of breaking down the Spurs defense all night. Multiple defenders got their shot at Kobe but one by one he mowed them down with an array of drives and made jumpers that had Greg Popovich frustrated and his Lakers’ teammates celebrating from the bench.

It wasn’t enough, though. In the second half the Spurs clamped down on defense and started to pressure the ball more and force the Lakers to use up the shot clock and take tougher shots. They started to blitz ball handlers coming off the pick and roll while flooding the strong side with extra defenders. The Lakers needed to knock down jumpers when the ball was swung to the opposite side but simply couldn’t do it.

And in the end, this was the difference. The Spurs found a way to keep the game close through effective defense and timely shot making. In the second half, they found enough scoring (Tim Duncan scored 12 of his 18 points in the final 24 minutes while Stephen Jackson’s two 3 pointers were also big shots) and hung close. Meanwhile, the Lakers couldn’t get the stops they needed nor hit the big basket that could have given them the separation to outlast their opponent.

So the Spurs improve their record to 7-1 and remain at the top of the western conference alone. The Lakers, meanwhile, can’t get to .500 and can only stew over a game they could have won while they wait for their new head coach to arrive later this week.

1. paulhargis53 - Nov 14, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Foul: I’m not worried about the banners whatsoever. Why would I be? Past titles are nice to reflect on, but are meaningless to the 12-13 season.

You’re crying= if anything is said that puts the Lakers in a bad light, even if true, is deemed hating. 99% of your fanbase will not admit even one flaw.

You’re wrong. There were plenty of fans criticizing the kid- you know it- I know it.
    I don’t use the reply button on my phone, so it looks out of order, in less I specify who I’m posting to.
    You’re problem is you take each and every post as directed at you, mine is, I tend to generalize.
    I never actually disliked the lakers per se.
    I detest the pompous, loudmouth, over the top, most homeristic fans outside of green bay packers fans.
    You are correct about ll/bozo though. He is the most egregious offender. It is.my mission to drive him off this site. He’s a hateable person and I do.t know how or why you can defend him…

You’ve never actually tried for a serious discussion. If I tell the truth, I get deemed a “hater”- its happened over and over.

Again, its a majority of the fans I detest, not the team. Jabbar is one if my favorite players,, I loved when Bob McAdoo played for them too.
    Read the posts, how can you not detest a fan that won’t admit his teams flaws?

I ha e given provable points and been mocked and shot down as a hater.

I read all summer about how great this team was going to be, about how the heat were in trouble. You bet I’m going to rub faces in it at every chance.
    I’m not rabid by the way, I’m actually laughing as I type. You should leave your psychoanalysis to professionals.

This is a time passer at work for me

2. paulhargis53 - Nov 14, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Foul:
    I typed out a nice long reply and it didn’t post. In a nutshell:

1. Not worried about banners. Past titles are nice to look back on- have nothing to do with 12-13 season
    2. There WERE people on that post defending what Nash did and said. That proves my point out. It’s the reason I said what I said. Don’t lie to make a point please.
    3. Yep LL/bozo is.my whipping boy. He’s an ignorant pos that I will rid this site of. How can you defend him?
    4. I tend to generalize. Are you that narcissistic to think everyone of my posts is directed specifically at you?
    5. Try me on a decent conversation. You’ve been too busy retaliating my comments directed at others to have one.

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Nov 14, 2012 at 3:58 PM

paul:

1. If you read my rebuttal on the issue on the number of banners you will note that I speak of FRANCHISE accomplishments and NOT GUARANTEES that such past successes ensure a championship of the present TEAM. Sheesh, you really must have some sort of reading disability, or perhaps some selected-reading-syndrome?

2. No there weren’t. Lying to your teeth as you got your hand caught in the cookie jar. What’s your proof? Anyone can see the time stamps. I was online for some time when you posted. And I said to myself: “What is this dimwit saying? I see no one, no Laker fan defending Blake.” Are you implying then that PBT conveniently deleted all posts defending Blake? Yeah right.

3. Yeah, I heard you Don Quixote. In as much as I don’t defend you either. Even in the past I would make comments defending a poster as I see fit regardless of team affiliation. I just leave it to you guys battle it out.

4. Nah, not narcissistic. Last I checked I responded to you like this ONLY when you personally called out my name handle. You said: “Foul: It’s not the hate of the team, its the detestable fanbase of yours we enjoy poking at. YOU and your little scrote boy lakerluver, along with loungefly being the leading offenders.”

5.Retaliating? Is that what you call them? I call them OBJECTIVE criticisms. Oh yeah, that’s right. Your version of “objectivity” is agreeing and validating your points all the time. You really have that DIRE NEED of AFFIRMATION, don’t you? Have I directed some scathing ad hominem at you despite our difference in opinion?

Goodness, stop using PBT as some sort of Coming of Age Ritual. If you really badly needed to prove that you’re a real man now and not some clearasil kid, why don’t you leave your sandlot, get that stick, pretend it’s a spear and be a Neanderthal and go hunt some mammoth or sabre-tooth tiger? Come back again when you’re ready to show us the pelts and ivory.

How’s that for some ad hominem?

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Nov 14, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Oh by the way, stealing pelts and ivory at the Smithsonian doesn’t count.

3. paulhargis53 - Nov 14, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Foul. I’m not going to respond to your novel, with another novel.

I’ll touch on a few of the points though.

Didn’t I say leave the psycoanalysis to the professionals? I’m not looking for affirmation from anyone on here.Why would I? That is ridiculous.
    Lying to my teeth huh? If you go back and look, there were people saying that ” how would you like it if someone did that to you at work” etc. I’m not going to belabor the point, its there for anyone who cares to investigate.
    I don’t have to prove my manhood. You know, you sound like a guy that thinks he’s smarter than the room. I’m sure your college educated and think you are some great thinker.Your posts reek of of pomposity.

I understood your banners point just fine, you accused me of being worried about something, that in the grand scheme of things, doesn’t really matter.

When I rid this site of lakerbozo, I Will bring you his head on a stick. Fair enough?

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Nov 15, 2012 at 5:50 PM

My pomposity as you would call it, is only for special people like you who masquerade as a know-it-all thus making his opinions be perceived as facts and goes Quixotic, making himself some sort of self-style hero trying to rid of dragons who are actually reflections of himself.

Your witch hunt against LL and bozo surely reeks a dire need for affirmation.

Psychoanalysis? LOL! What are you talking about? I’m just deconstructing you like Derrida would.

For a guy who loves to question other people’s manhood on the board by making snide remarks about indulging in homosexual activities, you sure have a funny way of saying that you don’t try to prove your manhood. I’ve seen you strut yourself around the board that you are more of a man than some of the posters here.

If you understood me just fine, then you shouldn’t be bringing YOUR argument whenever I bring up MY issue on banner numbers.

By the way, you just DID respond my novel with a novel. Thanks. LOL!

4. kavika6 - Nov 15, 2012 at 3:42 AM

Kobe was taken out of the last play by the excellent defense of second year player Kawhi Leonard. How embarrassing for him.

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches