Nov 14, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
DeMarcus Cousins has sat out his league mandated two-game suspension for an angry confrontation with Spurs broadcaster Sean Elliott — he tried to appeal it but the league denied his request to even reconsider the appeal.
So now the players union is taking up his case and appealing — he can’t get the games back but as they were suspensions without pay he could get the money back.
Cousins released a statement Wednesday through is agent John Greig.
“I appreciate the support of the NBA Player’s Association in appeal of my suspension by the NBA. I believe it best to allow the union and my agent, John Greig, to present my position about the situation. Despite believing the penalty unwarranted, I want to apologize to the Sacramento Kings, our fans and especially to my coaches and teammates for this distraction of our goals. As a leader of the team, I have to make the best decisions so my teammates can count on me. I am committed to continued growth and being the best player I can be.”
Elliot had ripped Cousins for trash talk with Tim Duncan during the Spurs/Kings game (because Duncan is above that? Really?). Cousins got word of what Elliott said and in his immature move went out to confront Elliott after he got off the air. It was a heated conversation.
Cousins should be above caring what a member of the media says about him. That said, sometimes it’s pretty hard to figure out the NBA’s suspension policy. Seems like guys that have done a lot worse have gotten less.
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 2
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 24
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 75
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 22
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13