Nov 14, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
DeMarcus Cousins has sat out his league mandated two-game suspension for an angry confrontation with Spurs broadcaster Sean Elliott — he tried to appeal it but the league denied his request to even reconsider the appeal.
So now the players union is taking up his case and appealing — he can’t get the games back but as they were suspensions without pay he could get the money back.
Cousins released a statement Wednesday through is agent John Greig.
“I appreciate the support of the NBA Player’s Association in appeal of my suspension by the NBA. I believe it best to allow the union and my agent, John Greig, to present my position about the situation. Despite believing the penalty unwarranted, I want to apologize to the Sacramento Kings, our fans and especially to my coaches and teammates for this distraction of our goals. As a leader of the team, I have to make the best decisions so my teammates can count on me. I am committed to continued growth and being the best player I can be.”
Elliot had ripped Cousins for trash talk with Tim Duncan during the Spurs/Kings game (because Duncan is above that? Really?). Cousins got word of what Elliott said and in his immature move went out to confront Elliott after he got off the air. It was a heated conversation.
Cousins should be above caring what a member of the media says about him. That said, sometimes it’s pretty hard to figure out the NBA’s suspension policy. Seems like guys that have done a lot worse have gotten less.
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 40
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 59
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 26
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 23