DeMarcus Cousins releases statement, union appeals suspension

Nov 14, 2012, 2:00 PM EST

Klay Thomspon, DeMarcus Cousins, Andrew Bogut AP

DeMarcus Cousins has sat out his league mandated two-game suspension for an angry confrontation with Spurs broadcaster Sean Elliott — he tried to appeal it but the league denied his request to even reconsider the appeal.

So now the players union is taking up his case and appealing — he can’t get the games back but as they were suspensions without pay he could get the money back.

Cousins released a statement Wednesday through is agent John Greig.

“I appreciate the support of the NBA Player’s Association in appeal of my suspension by the NBA. I believe it best to allow the union and my agent, John Greig, to present my position about the situation. Despite believing the penalty unwarranted, I want to apologize to the Sacramento Kings, our fans and especially to my coaches and teammates for this distraction of our goals. As a leader of the team, I have to make the best decisions so my teammates can count on me. I am committed to continued growth and being the best player I can be.”

Elliot had ripped Cousins for trash talk with Tim Duncan during the Spurs/Kings game (because Duncan is above that? Really?). Cousins got word of what Elliott said and in his immature move went out to confront Elliott after he got off the air. It was a heated conversation.

Cousins should be above caring what a member of the media says about him. That said, sometimes it’s pretty hard to figure out the NBA’s suspension policy. Seems like guys that have done a lot worse have gotten less.

1. sldxstyle - Nov 14, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Tim Duncan is one of the most humble superstar the NBA.

2. sldxstyle - Nov 14, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Tim Duncan is a straight up humble superstar.

3. teedraper - Nov 14, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I love DC. I wish more athletes would confront the media…that way we fans will have less BS to read from you people.

4. shockexchange - Nov 14, 2012 at 7:47 PM

DeMarcus Cousins is the Shock Exchange’s new favorite player. By stepping to Sean Elliott, he sent a message to his teammates and the rest of the L that when he’s on the court, somebody’s gonna have a fight on their hands.

5. e39er - Nov 14, 2012 at 7:58 PM

But unfortunately being that shock player isn’t going to get you anywhere in the league today with the exception of being fined over and over…league has definitely become softer and softer as the days go by…learn the harness that anger and just play ball Cousins…you can be an all star if you your mind to it

6. kavika6 - Nov 15, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Such a baby.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches