Nov 13, 2012, 3:58 PM EST
Steve Nash being reunited with Mike D’Antoni is not happening as soon as Lakers fans (or D’Antoni) would like — Nash said on Tuesday he could be out another week or two as his leg heals.
But that isn’t stopping the Lakers from shopping around two of the other point guards on the roster.
The report is from Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated.
— Chris Mannix (@ChrisMannixSI) November 13, 2012
You can guess why the desire to make a move — the Lakers need shooters to run D’Antoni’s offense right. Think back to the vintage days of the Suns under his “seven seconds or less” — Nash and Amare Stoudemire running the pick and roll and shooters everywhere. They could space the floor.
Who have the Lakers got? Metta World Peace (a career 34 percent three point shooter) was the guy on the weak side for the Lakers Sunday night against the Kings. I bet we see a lot more Jodie Meeks under D’Antoni. But they still need shooters.
Another reason the Lakers can do this — they like second-year guard Darius Morris.
There’s just not a lot of interest, for obvious reasons. In theory Blake could return to his sharpshooter ways in the new offense. But he’s going to have to prove that because otherwise he is not coming off the trade block.
Don’t be shocked if the Lakers make moves, although they likely come closer to the trade deadline. But they know they need to tweak the roster for the new coach. The only question is now much they will be able to tweak it.
- Damian Lillard, as stature grows, refuses to become content 1
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 7
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 11
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 20
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 54
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11