Nov 13, 2012, 3:58 PM EDT
Steve Nash being reunited with Mike D’Antoni is not happening as soon as Lakers fans (or D’Antoni) would like — Nash said on Tuesday he could be out another week or two as his leg heals.
But that isn’t stopping the Lakers from shopping around two of the other point guards on the roster.
The report is from Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated.
— Chris Mannix (@ChrisMannixSI) November 13, 2012
You can guess why the desire to make a move — the Lakers need shooters to run D’Antoni’s offense right. Think back to the vintage days of the Suns under his “seven seconds or less” — Nash and Amare Stoudemire running the pick and roll and shooters everywhere. They could space the floor.
Who have the Lakers got? Metta World Peace (a career 34 percent three point shooter) was the guy on the weak side for the Lakers Sunday night against the Kings. I bet we see a lot more Jodie Meeks under D’Antoni. But they still need shooters.
Another reason the Lakers can do this — they like second-year guard Darius Morris.
There’s just not a lot of interest, for obvious reasons. In theory Blake could return to his sharpshooter ways in the new offense. But he’s going to have to prove that because otherwise he is not coming off the trade block.
Don’t be shocked if the Lakers make moves, although they likely come closer to the trade deadline. But they know they need to tweak the roster for the new coach. The only question is now much they will be able to tweak it.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 6
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 14
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 7
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 6
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3