Nov 13, 2012, 11:29 PM EDT
It’s been a tough season in the Grizzlies family. First VP of basketball operations Dana Davis passes away, now this.
Grizzlies assistant general manager Kenny Williamson lost his battle with cancer, the team announced Tuesday.
Known as the “eggman” he was a basketball lifer who had spent more than 30 years around the game at all levels. The New York native had been a fixture at Rucker Park back in the day, had spent a couple decades as a college assistant coach before moving on to NBA front offices, and spent the last six years with the Grizzlies.
You’d be hard pressed to find a better liked man around the NBA.
“Anyone who ever met ‘Eggman’ will never forget him. He had a huge personality and was extremely well respected, both professionally and personally,” Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace said in a statement. “Kenny was as true and committed a friend as one will ever have. He deeply cared for his friends and the youth of Memphis and of every community he touched. He was the greatest people person I have ever known. Every place I ever traveled with him, from Argentina to Turkey and throughout the U. S. he made an indelible impression and made countless friends. He was well known is all basketball circles, both domestically and internationally, and his presence will be sorely missed.”
“The business that we are in is a very stressful and difficult business and one thing that I knew for a fact was that every day that I came into the office with Kenny, my day was going to be a better day. He was a caring person who thought more about other people than he thought about himself,” said Memphis Grizzlies Director of Player Personnel Tony Barone in a statement.
Our thoughts are with Williamson’s friends and family.
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 7
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 8
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 39
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73