Nov 13, 2012, 11:52 AM EDT
Politicians do this all the time — for their first interview after a big bit of news or awkward revelation, their first interview is with a friendly media outlet that is not going to pepper them with hard questions.
Mike D’Antoni’s first interview in Los Angeles came Tuesday morning — with Ryan Seacrest. Yes, American Idol Ryan Seacrest. He has a highly rated morning radio show in Los Angels on KIIS 102.7, a station where you can get your fill of Katy Perry and Taylor Swift.
So what did he say to calm down a Lakers nation that considers him the consolation prize after the Lakers cleverly were able to make it feel like D’Antoni is replacing Phil Jackson and not Mike Brown?
“I have some close friends who are Lakers fans and they were disappointed I got the job,” D’Antoni quipped.
What did he say? We go to the bullet points.
• He will be in town Wednesday and will coach the team Friday night against the Suns. (Bernie Bickerstaff will coach the Lakers Tuesday night against the Spurs.)
• D’Antoni was “shocked” he got the job because like everyone else, “I was thinking that Phil would take the job but it’s a funny business.”
• He talked about being reunited with Steve Nash: “I’ve already left him once and that didn’t go so good. I’m not going to do that again.”
• He said what Lakers fans want to hear — this is a championship or bust team.
• D’Antoni said he has not spoken to Kobe Bryant yet but sang the praises of the Lakers star: “I’ve known Kobe forever, since he was 12 years old. He’s the greatest talent we have in the game.” (Remember that was Kobe was 12 and living in Italy with his father, D’Antoni was the best player in the Italian league and a big star.)
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 10
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 7
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 10
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 7
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8
- Report: Becky Hammon gaining traction around the NBA as “serious” head-coaching candidate 42
- Gregg Popovich discusses three-point shot, changing roles for bigs in NBA 4