Nov 13, 2012, 11:52 AM EDT
Politicians do this all the time — for their first interview after a big bit of news or awkward revelation, their first interview is with a friendly media outlet that is not going to pepper them with hard questions.
Mike D’Antoni’s first interview in Los Angeles came Tuesday morning — with Ryan Seacrest. Yes, American Idol Ryan Seacrest. He has a highly rated morning radio show in Los Angels on KIIS 102.7, a station where you can get your fill of Katy Perry and Taylor Swift.
So what did he say to calm down a Lakers nation that considers him the consolation prize after the Lakers cleverly were able to make it feel like D’Antoni is replacing Phil Jackson and not Mike Brown?
“I have some close friends who are Lakers fans and they were disappointed I got the job,” D’Antoni quipped.
What did he say? We go to the bullet points.
• He will be in town Wednesday and will coach the team Friday night against the Suns. (Bernie Bickerstaff will coach the Lakers Tuesday night against the Spurs.)
• D’Antoni was “shocked” he got the job because like everyone else, “I was thinking that Phil would take the job but it’s a funny business.”
• He talked about being reunited with Steve Nash: “I’ve already left him once and that didn’t go so good. I’m not going to do that again.”
• He said what Lakers fans want to hear — this is a championship or bust team.
• D’Antoni said he has not spoken to Kobe Bryant yet but sang the praises of the Lakers star: “I’ve known Kobe forever, since he was 12 years old. He’s the greatest talent we have in the game.” (Remember that was Kobe was 12 and living in Italy with his father, D’Antoni was the best player in the Italian league and a big star.)
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 26
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 34
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 20
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 17
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 7