Nov 12, 2012, 1:17 PM EDT
This is not as great an idea as it sounds. But we’ll get to that in a bit.
Mike D’Antoni is reportedly interested in bringing former Sonics and Trail Blazers coach Nate McMillan on his Lakers staff as a “defensive assistant,” reports Ken Berger at CBSSports.com. He adds that the one lock for D’Antoni’s staff seems to be Dan D’Antoni, Mike’s brother.
McMillan and D’Antoni were both assistant coaches under Mike Krzyzewski for Team USA when they won the past two gold medals. They are both well respected by players.
This hire could well be a good one — but don’t think Nate McMillan is a defensive specialist.
No team of McMillan’s has ever finished in the top half of the league in defensive efficiency (points allowed per possession). His teams didn’t allow that many points per game because they played at a painfully slow pace (which makes this another odd pairing with D’Antoni). His team’s career defensive numbers are barely better than D’Antoni’s when you break things down by possession.
And they need to be, it is their key to winning. I’m just not sold McMillan makes that happen.
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 6
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 43
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 19
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70