Nov 12, 2012, 4:57 PM EDT
Neither of them spoke to the media today. Nash because he got treatment on his injured leg and left the Lakers facilities before media was let into team practice.
But Kobe had a way better excuse — he was using his private helicopter to take Steve Blake to a specialist in Orange County to get an ultrasound on Blake’s strained abdomen. Seriously. Blake was riding shotgun in Kobe’s copter.
So how about some other guys…
“I knew he was trying to take some time off and get healthy and things like that,” he said. “I was with him this summer. He didn’t really know what was going to happen as far as getting a job this year or next year.
“Obviously it worked out this summer with him and Kobe. Maybe they had something under the table, I don’t know. But it’ll be fun. I know Kobe’s excited about that, so we’ll see what happens.”
As for the Lakers who did speak to the media it was all puppy dogs and rainbows. Everybody was happy. Not sure what else you expect — if you want minutes you don’t slam the coach on the way in the door.
“You’ve got guys on this team that love to play D & he’s an offensive coach. We’ll find a balance… it’ll be great.”
Antawn Jamison spoke on the Phil vs. D’Antoni talk.
“You can’t go wrong either way. The fans wanted Phil. But Mike has a good resume, a great offense and he will let us play freely,”
Metta World Peace talked three-pointers (after going 4-of-8 from deep Sunday against the Kings. He also said he’d lock down the defense with Howard.
“I think it’s a great system. Lotta open 3s.”
Finally, Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak also released another statement on how the team came to its decision.
“After speaking with several excellent and well-respected coaching candidates, Dr. Buss, Jim and I all agreed that Mike (D’Antoni) was the right person at this time to lead the Lakers forward. Knowing his style of play and given the current make-up of our roster, we feel Mike is a great fit, are excited to have him as our next head coach.”
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 3
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 9
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 17
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 27
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 6
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 36
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 90