Nov 12, 2012, 9:28 PM EST
DeMarcus Cousins did an immature thing — he heard Spurs broadcaster Sean Elliot was hard on him during the telecast and came out of the locker room in his uniform to confront him “in a hostile manner.”
The league is not fond of players confronting media partners like that, so Cousins got a two-game suspension, sitting out the Kings loss to the Lakers Sunday and he is supposed to sit out Tuesday against Portland.
But the players union is appealing the suspension as too harsh, according to the Sacramento Bee.
DeMarcus Cousins’ agent told me a few minutes ago that the Players Association is appealing the two-game suspension the third-year center received … According to (the agent) John Greig, the union is continuing to investigate the matter, but already is convinced the penalty is too severe. Cousins was informed of the two-game penalty and did not play in the Kings-Lakers game Sunday in Staples Center. The immediate goal is to get the suspension lifted prior to tomorrow’s home game against the Portland Trail Blazers. Calls to the Players Association were not returned.
“We will definitely have something more to say tomorrow,” Greig added late Monday afternoon.
Without the details of what was said and how, I’m not going to speculate on if the suspension should have been one game or two, or none. It may or may not have been fair.
But I know this: If you can’t handle public criticism — even of things you feel or know not to be true — playing in the NBA is going to be rough for you. In talking about Cousins before Sunday night’s game Kings coach Keith Smart said he needs to be in Cousins’ ear about these kind of things like he does his 16-year-old son. Not good. By and large Cousins seems to be a good citizen, but he has lapses. And until he doesn’t it is those moments that define his public perception.
Fair or not.
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 0
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 2
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 9
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 10
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 23
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)