Nov 12, 2012, 9:28 PM EDT
DeMarcus Cousins did an immature thing — he heard Spurs broadcaster Sean Elliot was hard on him during the telecast and came out of the locker room in his uniform to confront him “in a hostile manner.”
The league is not fond of players confronting media partners like that, so Cousins got a two-game suspension, sitting out the Kings loss to the Lakers Sunday and he is supposed to sit out Tuesday against Portland.
But the players union is appealing the suspension as too harsh, according to the Sacramento Bee.
DeMarcus Cousins’ agent told me a few minutes ago that the Players Association is appealing the two-game suspension the third-year center received … According to (the agent) John Greig, the union is continuing to investigate the matter, but already is convinced the penalty is too severe. Cousins was informed of the two-game penalty and did not play in the Kings-Lakers game Sunday in Staples Center. The immediate goal is to get the suspension lifted prior to tomorrow’s home game against the Portland Trail Blazers. Calls to the Players Association were not returned.
“We will definitely have something more to say tomorrow,” Greig added late Monday afternoon.
Without the details of what was said and how, I’m not going to speculate on if the suspension should have been one game or two, or none. It may or may not have been fair.
But I know this: If you can’t handle public criticism — even of things you feel or know not to be true — playing in the NBA is going to be rough for you. In talking about Cousins before Sunday night’s game Kings coach Keith Smart said he needs to be in Cousins’ ear about these kind of things like he does his 16-year-old son. Not good. By and large Cousins seems to be a good citizen, but he has lapses. And until he doesn’t it is those moments that define his public perception.
Fair or not.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13