PBT Extra: Talking Mike D’Antoni to the Lakers (and why it could work)

Nov 12, 2012, 2:27 PM EDT

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

Well, nobody really saw the Mike D’Antoni to the Lakers hiring coming — not Phil Jackson and his people, not Lakers fans, not the media, not anyone.

But that is different than saying it can’t work — it can. If the Lakers defend.

Kay Adams and I talk Lakers in this, the latest edition of PBT Extra. (You’ll get a steady diet of these over the course of the season.)

1. hoodheisman - Nov 12, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Laker players didn’t see this coming either.

2. chargerdillon - Nov 12, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Most Lakers fans living in the land of denial that Phil would come back. SURE WE ALL WANT IT.

But this was and has always been about the money.

And if you think the son was going to relinquish all the control back to the man he spent millions to detach everything from…..well again it’s about the money.

D’Antoni 2-5 mill. Phil 10-15 mill. Mike Browns money still on the table…..IT’S ABOUT THE MONEY

3. spthegr8 - Nov 12, 2012 at 3:13 PM

I am a DIE HARD Laker fan. Alway’s have been and alway’s will be. I alway’s praise our front office for “making the right choice’s. With that being said WHAT A F**KIN BOTCH this has been. I am not saying that we can’t or won’t win a championship with Dantoni. But the front office’s job is too, put the team in the BEST postion too win a championship. Phil gave us the best chance. Even if we win with Dantoni. Phil is the safer choice. His 11 rings are proof of that.

For all of us laker fan’s. We are in TROUBLE. What use too be 1 of our strength’s, maybe our downfall. Our front office.. When Jimbo get’s total control. He is gonna F**K THIS FRANCHISE UP.!!!!!. With his EGO and inability, too seperate his personal feelings from business decision’s. I hope I’m wrong, but if he keeps doing the SH*T he has been doing the last cpl of years. WE ARE F**KED!!!!!!!!!!!

• theihuman - Nov 12, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I bet you didn’t say that when they landed Dwight and Nash did you? Just face it, everyone has this problems, and everything won’t always go the Lakers way, I think it’s time for the Lakers to start playing their cards and stop trying to buy their way into championships.

• spthegr8 - Nov 12, 2012 at 6:44 PM

@theihuman
        He ran Phil outta there 2 years ago and hired Mike Brown. That’s not exactly Good Decision making in my book. Buy our way into championship’s?????? Call it what you want, but I call it WINNING!!!!!!!! CHING CHING!!!!!!!!

4. staff2cj - Nov 12, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Nice hire FLakers

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches