Nov 12, 2012, 10:55 AM EST
LeBron James is even sticking up for Mike Brown.
Not that LeBron really has ever really ripped his former coach in Cleveland, he’s always pretty much said nice things in public. (When Brown was let go in Cleveland after the 2010 season James was in full “I’m not talking about anything Cleveland” mode and did not comment.)
But when Mike Brown was kicked to the curb by the Lakers after five games this season — to ultimately be replaced by Mike D’Antoni — LeBron joined the chorus of people who thought that was too fast, that he never really got a chance. Via ESPN’s Heat Index:
“I think it’s unfortunate,” James said Friday after the Heat’s win in Atlanta against the Hawks. “I just don’t think he got a fair shake, honestly. With the shortened season last year, and five games into this year, he didn’t really get a full season.”
The Lakers have countered that they had doubts and if Brown started to have the team play better they could be stuck with a good coach who was just not good enough. Better to move quickly. Of course, if the Lakers had doubts after those five games filled with injuries and no real chance for Brown to use his best guys, they had to have them before the season. Which is when they should have acted if they were going to.
Instead, the reaction around the NBA is pretty much like James shaking his head at his locker.
“I wish him the best, but I just think it’s unfortunate and it’s just, you know, how the league is. (The owners) can do what they want to do.”
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 5
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 8
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 19
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 13
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 27
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 15
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 30