Nov 12, 2012, 10:55 AM EST
LeBron James is even sticking up for Mike Brown.
Not that LeBron really has ever really ripped his former coach in Cleveland, he’s always pretty much said nice things in public. (When Brown was let go in Cleveland after the 2010 season James was in full “I’m not talking about anything Cleveland” mode and did not comment.)
But when Mike Brown was kicked to the curb by the Lakers after five games this season — to ultimately be replaced by Mike D’Antoni — LeBron joined the chorus of people who thought that was too fast, that he never really got a chance. Via ESPN’s Heat Index:
“I think it’s unfortunate,” James said Friday after the Heat’s win in Atlanta against the Hawks. “I just don’t think he got a fair shake, honestly. With the shortened season last year, and five games into this year, he didn’t really get a full season.”
The Lakers have countered that they had doubts and if Brown started to have the team play better they could be stuck with a good coach who was just not good enough. Better to move quickly. Of course, if the Lakers had doubts after those five games filled with injuries and no real chance for Brown to use his best guys, they had to have them before the season. Which is when they should have acted if they were going to.
Instead, the reaction around the NBA is pretty much like James shaking his head at his locker.
“I wish him the best, but I just think it’s unfortunate and it’s just, you know, how the league is. (The owners) can do what they want to do.”
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 0
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 23
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)