D’Antoni says he was surprised by Lakers offer, happy to be back with Nash

Nov 12, 2012, 6:19 PM EDT

Mike D'Antoni Steve Nash Getty Images

Mike D’Antoni expected to be the Lakers coach about as much as you expected him to be the Lakers coach.

Which is to say, not at all.

He had a Saturday phone interview with the Lakers. After his awkward stint in New York, his next gig might not be a plum one. But late Sunday night things changed and he opened up to Mike Lupica of the New York Daily News about it in his first interview since getting the job. After his Saturday interview he thought what everyone did — Phil Jackson was going to be the next Lakers coach.

“Sure I did,” he said. “For sure I did. Didn’t everybody? When I got the call that it was me, my first reaction was, ‘Are you serious?’”

D’Antoni takes over for Mike Brown, who was fired because he started 1-4 and the Lakers finally saw what had been evident for a while — they wanted to win right now and he might well not be the guy who could do that.

D’Antoni gets a team with his old running mate from Phoenix in Steve Nash, plus Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol. And he gets expectations and pressure, although after four years in New York that is something he is more used to.

“I am so happy to be back with Steve Nash,” D’Antoni is saying late on Monday morning. “To get one more chance to have him run the thing the way he did for me before (in Phoenix), well, that’s the kind of thing you never think is going to happen. But now it has…

“I like this team,” D’Antoni said. “We’re good, and we’re gonna get better.”

That’s just what Lakers fans and the Buss family wants to hear. Now he just has to deliver.

1. glink123 - Nov 12, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Buss is a fool. Typical little-man complex.

2. progress2011 - Nov 12, 2012 at 7:30 PM

AHAHAHAHahahahah!

What a friggin “soap opera” …..As The Fakers Turn !!! ahahahah

1. Brown paid up for the next 3 years drinking 50 yr old Scotch.
    2. Jackson mad, cause he was left at the altar
    3. Fakers have one of the worst benches and defense in the league
    4. They hire D’antoni….who has ZERO clue about coaching a defense

I predicted they would be a 3 seed AT BEST….Ya’ll might not make the friggin playoffs….ahahahahaha

I gotta go order more Salt…I think I might be able to rub more into those gaping wounds that will be opening up! ahahahaha

3. rajbais - Nov 12, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Bye Bye Defense!

• badintent - Nov 13, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Defense ? defense ? We talking bout practicing defense. Practice ? Defense ? what defense. ?? what practice ? Defense ? Let Howard block shots, I don’t do defense.

I’m Don Nelson and I approved no defense.

• rajbais - Nov 13, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Absolutely 100% correct!!!!

4. macjacmccoy - Nov 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM

you like this team? Thanks Captain Obvious.

5. loungefly74 - Nov 12, 2012 at 9:40 PM

we will see…

what is the bar? for fans…has to be title. the pressure is on. wouldn’t want it any other way…

6. h00kem34 - Nov 12, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I’m on the record that I do not like this hire. Jim Bust and his little man’s inferiority complex is leading to the downfall of the great Laker organization.

7. hickoryhigh - Nov 12, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Hey everybody! progress2011 predicted Lakers would be a 3 seed AT BEST. Go ahead and book it! When that dude makes a prediction, you can count on it.

Hey progress2011, just kidding, nobody gives a f$%* what you have to say. Nobody cares about your predictions. Nobody knows who you are. You have no credibility. But thanks for wasting everyone’s time with your comment.

Sincerely,

Everbody

• progress2011 - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Ahahahah….Hickory Hillbilly,

Obviously you care, otherwise you wouldn’t have wasted time registering on this site and taking additional time, just to respond to “how you and nobody else cares”….

Your post is evidence, if no one else cares….You Do !!!!! Silly little man.

Your bench is so WEAK and your starters so OLD and Fragile, you won’t beat the Thunder, The Spurs or the Clips in a 7 game series. You may only beat the Nuggets on a good day, if “wanna-be-like-Mike” isn’t JACKING Up that GARBAGE !

You are high on something, coming on here posting that lame gibberish….friggin moonshine-white lightning drinkin Hillbilly !

You’ve obviously damaged too many of those 3rd grade brain cells.

Ahahahahah

• badintent - Nov 13, 2012 at 1:50 AM

pleassssssssssse ! Hillbilly got dropped in 6th grade, give the man his due ! He played a mean git-tar in” Deliverance.”

• hickoryhigh - Nov 13, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Hey PromDress2011 (See how I did that? Just like how you do Fakers instead of Lakers; or changed my name to Hickory Hillbilly. That’s funny right???)

Nice try, but I’m not a Lakers fan, soooooooooo…..

And still nobody cares what you think, but thanks for playing.

8. 00maltliquor - Nov 13, 2012 at 4:32 AM

How cute ^, a little paulhargis53 wannabe copycat/understudy. LMFAO!!

• progress2011 - Nov 13, 2012 at 5:51 AM

Rot-gut / Colt 45/ Malt liquor….ahahahahaha

We all know, you’ve damaged the few brain cells you had…drinking that rot-gut !

Anybody educated fan that knows, understands and revels in the demise of the FAKER franchise is not a wanna-be !

Who is a wanna-be is kobe ! It’s absolutely PITIFUL to watch a full grown man, never mature into becoming his own man because he wants to be some other dude.

Mr. Wanna-be-like-MIKE….that clown has still watches an MJ highlight reel before every game and sleeps with a pair of his old socks.

Talk to the #1 FAKER/ Mr. Wanna-be-like-Mike…before talking to me about being a “COPYCAT/ UNDERSTUDY !!!

I got 65 cent, for you to buy your next bottle of ROT-GUT Malt liquor and you’d still owe me!

ahahahaha

• 00maltliquor - Nov 13, 2012 at 11:28 AM

LOL. You’re a funny lil’ guy! Hehe…getting all mad ’cause I called you out… paul Jr. lol

Give me $2.50 more, I would like to buy a 40 with your money! Yeah, 1st rounds on progress! I’ll buy your appletini next round.

9. fanz928 - Nov 13, 2012 at 5:46 AM

Wow lakers loss a lot of creditability to coaches and players who would go there? Had a oral agreement and just flips the script in 2 hours? Its a shame the organization has turned this way. they need better management team

10. davidly - Nov 13, 2012 at 7:53 AM

I feel bad for D’Antoni. And all he did was get the head coaching job in sunny Los Angeles.

But what’s he gotta do to have earned it in the eyes of his players, his bosses, and that team’s fans and sports-writers?

Win immediately. And with a really expensive roster made up of stars who are either past their prime, dangerously close to retirement, or forever at end of their contract.

And the contract D-Tone got? You’d think he had all the leverage in the world. They could fire him before the end of the season and he’d have become a millionaire, yet again, for next to nothing.

Hm. I don’t feel as bad for D’Antoni as I thought.

11. addict2sport - Nov 13, 2012 at 9:12 AM

This is the worst smack talk I’ve read on this site, or seen and heard anywhere else, in a long time.

• manchestermiracle - Nov 13, 2012 at 11:43 AM

A highly-successful franchise brings out rabid loyalty in its fanbase and jealous hatred in almost everyone else. Love ‘em or hate ‘em, a team like the LAKERS rarely produces indifference.

12. djjackson81 - Nov 13, 2012 at 3:33 PM

D.Antoni is a great coach quit crying Fakers Fans. New York now LA the biggest markets in Basketball aren’t stupid when they see great Coaches. The Defense will be fine Howard,Kobe, world peace,lol

13. paulhargis53 - Nov 13, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Manchester: I don’t hate the Lakers team. I dislike the know nothing, loudmouth, homeristic fanbase- big difference.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches