Nov 11, 2012, 9:59 PM EDT
If one of the Lakers superstar had reason to have trepidation at the return of Phil Jackson, it’s Steve Nash — Jackson’s triangle offense has not been kind to traditional point guards. Just ask Gary Payton.
But Nash, speaking with reporters in the Lakers locker room before Sunday night’s game against the Kings — which he sat out — said he was all for Jackson coming to the Lakers. From Eric Pincus of the Los Angeles Times:
“It’d be a coup for the franchise,” said Nash. “His history with this club, with Pau [Gasol] and Kobe [Bryant] in particular, is fantastic. For me personally it would be a terrific experience….
“It’s won a lot of championships. It’s hard to argue against that,” said Nash. “I look at it as a great opportunity for me to try something new at a different stage of my career.”
Nash’s outside shooting would make him valuable in the triangle, but it would be interesting to see if Jackson would install more pick-and-roll to take advantage of Nash’s skills.
Nash also said he would welcome Mike D’Antoni getting the job. For obvious reasons. From ESPNLA.com.
“Obviously everyone knows how much I love Mike,” Nash said “If he were the coach it would be seamless and terrific for me and for the team as well. These are things that will be decided pretty soon so there’s not much point speculating.”
Nash also reiterated there is no timeline for his return to the Lakers from a broken leg.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 14
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 48
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17