Nov 11, 2012, 9:59 PM EDT
If one of the Lakers superstar had reason to have trepidation at the return of Phil Jackson, it’s Steve Nash — Jackson’s triangle offense has not been kind to traditional point guards. Just ask Gary Payton.
But Nash, speaking with reporters in the Lakers locker room before Sunday night’s game against the Kings — which he sat out — said he was all for Jackson coming to the Lakers. From Eric Pincus of the Los Angeles Times:
“It’d be a coup for the franchise,” said Nash. “His history with this club, with Pau [Gasol] and Kobe [Bryant] in particular, is fantastic. For me personally it would be a terrific experience….
“It’s won a lot of championships. It’s hard to argue against that,” said Nash. “I look at it as a great opportunity for me to try something new at a different stage of my career.”
Nash’s outside shooting would make him valuable in the triangle, but it would be interesting to see if Jackson would install more pick-and-roll to take advantage of Nash’s skills.
Nash also said he would welcome Mike D’Antoni getting the job. For obvious reasons. From ESPNLA.com.
“Obviously everyone knows how much I love Mike,” Nash said “If he were the coach it would be seamless and terrific for me and for the team as well. These are things that will be decided pretty soon so there’s not much point speculating.”
Nash also reiterated there is no timeline for his return to the Lakers from a broken leg.
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 0
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 58
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 47
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 24
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 17