Nov 11, 2012, 9:59 PM EDT
If one of the Lakers superstar had reason to have trepidation at the return of Phil Jackson, it’s Steve Nash — Jackson’s triangle offense has not been kind to traditional point guards. Just ask Gary Payton.
But Nash, speaking with reporters in the Lakers locker room before Sunday night’s game against the Kings — which he sat out — said he was all for Jackson coming to the Lakers. From Eric Pincus of the Los Angeles Times:
“It’d be a coup for the franchise,” said Nash. “His history with this club, with Pau [Gasol] and Kobe [Bryant] in particular, is fantastic. For me personally it would be a terrific experience….
“It’s won a lot of championships. It’s hard to argue against that,” said Nash. “I look at it as a great opportunity for me to try something new at a different stage of my career.”
Nash’s outside shooting would make him valuable in the triangle, but it would be interesting to see if Jackson would install more pick-and-roll to take advantage of Nash’s skills.
Nash also said he would welcome Mike D’Antoni getting the job. For obvious reasons. From ESPNLA.com.
“Obviously everyone knows how much I love Mike,” Nash said “If he were the coach it would be seamless and terrific for me and for the team as well. These are things that will be decided pretty soon so there’s not much point speculating.”
Nash also reiterated there is no timeline for his return to the Lakers from a broken leg.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 7
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50