Steve Nash says getting Phil Jackson would be “coup”

Nov 11, 2012, 9:59 PM EDT

Lakers Steve Nash smiles as he plays in the Lakers season opening game against  Dallas Reuters

If one of the Lakers superstar had reason to have trepidation at the return of Phil Jackson, it’s Steve Nash — Jackson’s triangle offense has not been kind to traditional point guards. Just ask Gary Payton.

But Nash, speaking with reporters in the Lakers locker room before Sunday night’s game against the Kings — which he sat out — said he was all for Jackson coming to the Lakers. From Eric Pincus of the Los Angeles Times:

“It’d be a coup for the franchise,” said Nash. “His history with this club, with Pau [Gasol] and Kobe [Bryant] in particular, is fantastic. For me personally it would be a terrific experience….

“It’s won a lot of championships. It’s hard to argue against that,” said Nash. “I look at it as a great opportunity for me to try something new at a different stage of my career.”

Nash’s outside shooting would make him valuable in the triangle, but it would be interesting to see if Jackson would install more pick-and-roll to take advantage of Nash’s skills.

Nash also said he would welcome Mike D’Antoni getting the job. For obvious reasons. From ESPNLA.com.

“Obviously everyone knows how much I love Mike,” Nash said “If he were the coach it would be seamless and terrific for me and for the team as well. These are things that will be decided pretty soon so there’s not much point speculating.”

Nash also reiterated there is no timeline for his return to the Lakers from a broken leg.

1. pricejustin24 - Nov 11, 2012 at 10:11 PM

We want tacos

2. loungefly74 - Nov 11, 2012 at 10:17 PM

title is misleading…somewhat.

• manchestermiracle - Nov 11, 2012 at 11:12 PM

How so?

3. pricejustin24 - Nov 11, 2012 at 10:21 PM

The writing on this site would be much better represented if it were in crayon

• manchestermiracle - Nov 11, 2012 at 11:12 PM

So you could keep up?

• 00maltliquor - Nov 12, 2012 at 12:33 AM

HAA! Ziiing!

manchestermiracle- 1
        foe- 0

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Nov 12, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Priceless. Nice one.

4. windycity52 - Nov 11, 2012 at 10:44 PM

I’m not a laker fan but I’m a big fan of Steve Nash and Phil Jackson. Nash needs a ring.

5. lakerluver - Nov 12, 2012 at 12:23 AM

The LAKERS shared the ball beautifully tonight. The ball movement should be even better once Nash gets healthy. Kobe had15 fg attempts. Pau, MWP, and Dwight all each had around the same. Isn’t it ironic now that Kobe is playing with a big man “he trusts”, he doesn’t seem to mind sharing the rock? Dwight looked tremendous tonight. Yeah, haters, I know it was the Kings minus Cousins! Anyway, Nash can thrive in PJ’s system. And we all know what he can do in D’Antoni’s. I want PHIL but the LAKERS can win with D’Antoni. The bench is still a work in progress and the LAKERS haven’t beaten a good team yet. But I like how the starters are beginning to play like a cohesive group. And Darius Morris seems to be getting a little better each game. Now if someone can get Meeks and Jamison going!

6. pricejustin24 - Nov 12, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Foe? Really now? You sir are no Sean Elliot. More like Billy Elliot. Go watch soccer and beat your dog.

7. pricejustin24 - Nov 12, 2012 at 2:45 AM