Nov 11, 2012, 9:59 PM EST
If one of the Lakers superstar had reason to have trepidation at the return of Phil Jackson, it’s Steve Nash — Jackson’s triangle offense has not been kind to traditional point guards. Just ask Gary Payton.
But Nash, speaking with reporters in the Lakers locker room before Sunday night’s game against the Kings — which he sat out — said he was all for Jackson coming to the Lakers. From Eric Pincus of the Los Angeles Times:
“It’d be a coup for the franchise,” said Nash. “His history with this club, with Pau [Gasol] and Kobe [Bryant] in particular, is fantastic. For me personally it would be a terrific experience….
“It’s won a lot of championships. It’s hard to argue against that,” said Nash. “I look at it as a great opportunity for me to try something new at a different stage of my career.”
Nash’s outside shooting would make him valuable in the triangle, but it would be interesting to see if Jackson would install more pick-and-roll to take advantage of Nash’s skills.
Nash also said he would welcome Mike D’Antoni getting the job. For obvious reasons. From ESPNLA.com.
“Obviously everyone knows how much I love Mike,” Nash said “If he were the coach it would be seamless and terrific for me and for the team as well. These are things that will be decided pretty soon so there’s not much point speculating.”
Nash also reiterated there is no timeline for his return to the Lakers from a broken leg.
- Report: Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 0
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 9
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0