Nov 11, 2012, 4:29 PM EDT
If Phil Jackson says yes, the job is his (according to the New York Times and other reports). He will for a third time become the head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers.
Jackson and Lakers management are going to meet again Sunday or Monday, reports Marc Spears at Yahoo.com.
But he adds that Jackson — who openly admitted he was tired of the grind of being an NBA coach when he walked away before the lockout — wants some conditions on travel and the like.
Those who have seen Jackson and spoken with him recently say he looks rested and in good shape, but still has concerns about the lengthy travel an NBA schedule requires, sources said. Some possible solutions, sources said, would be to allow his assistant coaches to coach some games and run shootarounds.
That is not a new request, it was something he suggested he would want while coaching in his last stint but never got it from the team.
Jackson is clearly strongly considering saying yes — he’s gone so far as to gauge the interest of potential assistant coaches.
The way the parting of Jackson, 67, and the Lakers went after the team was eliminated in the second round of the playoffs in 2010 made this kind of reunion seem impossible — there was civility but bad blood, and after he left Jim Buss (the son of Jerry and the guy running the Lakers now) cleared out a lot of long-time Lakers seen as Jackson supporters, such as assistant GM Ronnie Lester and much of the scouting staff.
But desperate times… the Lakers had Jackson on the top of their list as replacements for Mike Brown, who was fired following a 1-4 start. Jackson will want more power, will want some travel reduced, he will want a lot of cash in that paycheck.
And the Lakers seem ready to give it all to him.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29