Nov 11, 2012, 2:50 PM EDT
The short version is that Elliot said some very Elliot things on the broadcast, Cousins heard what he said, and let him know (probably as politely and professionally as possible) that those words weren’t appreciated.
The NBA is not exactly on board with its players confronting members of the opposing team’s broadcast crew, so the league is reviewing the incident.
Apparently informed postgame of Elliott’s remarks, Cousins appeared on the court in his uniform and confronted Elliott after he and broadcaster Bill Land completed their postgame show.
“I was wondering why Cousins was out there in his uniform waiting for them to finish his postgame show,” said Bill Schoening, who does the play-by-play call on radio broadcasts of Spurs games. “Then I saw them in an animated conversation out on the court.
“I observed Sean walk away from Cousins and Cousins continue to talk to Sean as he left the scene, but I couldn’t hear what was being said.”
An NBA spokesperson said the league is aware of, and reviewing, the incident.
All that’s likely to come of this is a fine or a warning for Cousins, for coming out of the locker room after the game to wait for Elliott in order to confront him. The league isn’t going to support that kind of behavior, and can’t really choose to ignore it. No matter what’s said by the other team’s broadcast crew, it can’t have its players waiting for them after the game to threaten or intimidate.
Just as there will be something said to Cousins about this, there is an equal chance that nothing will be said to Elliott or the Spurs about his comments.
It’s nearly impossible for the league to get involved in regulating the commentary of a broadcaster who’s there to analyze and is clearly being paid to root, root, root for the home team live on the air — no matter how inflammatory or disrespectful those words might be perceived to be when heard by players on the opposing team.
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 6
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 40
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1