Nov 11, 2012, 2:50 PM EDT
The short version is that Elliot said some very Elliot things on the broadcast, Cousins heard what he said, and let him know (probably as politely and professionally as possible) that those words weren’t appreciated.
The NBA is not exactly on board with its players confronting members of the opposing team’s broadcast crew, so the league is reviewing the incident.
Apparently informed postgame of Elliott’s remarks, Cousins appeared on the court in his uniform and confronted Elliott after he and broadcaster Bill Land completed their postgame show.
“I was wondering why Cousins was out there in his uniform waiting for them to finish his postgame show,” said Bill Schoening, who does the play-by-play call on radio broadcasts of Spurs games. “Then I saw them in an animated conversation out on the court.
“I observed Sean walk away from Cousins and Cousins continue to talk to Sean as he left the scene, but I couldn’t hear what was being said.”
An NBA spokesperson said the league is aware of, and reviewing, the incident.
All that’s likely to come of this is a fine or a warning for Cousins, for coming out of the locker room after the game to wait for Elliott in order to confront him. The league isn’t going to support that kind of behavior, and can’t really choose to ignore it. No matter what’s said by the other team’s broadcast crew, it can’t have its players waiting for them after the game to threaten or intimidate.
Just as there will be something said to Cousins about this, there is an equal chance that nothing will be said to Elliott or the Spurs about his comments.
It’s nearly impossible for the league to get involved in regulating the commentary of a broadcaster who’s there to analyze and is clearly being paid to root, root, root for the home team live on the air — no matter how inflammatory or disrespectful those words might be perceived to be when heard by players on the opposing team.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 0
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 2
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 6
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 13
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 4
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games