Nov 11, 2012, 7:42 PM EDT
DeMarcus Cousins has been suspended two games without pay for confronting San Antonio Spurs announcer Sean Elliott in a hostile manner following Friday night’s game, the league announced in an official release.
Cousins will miss Sunday night’s game against the Lakers in Los Angeles and Tuesday night’s home game against the Blazers.
The original incident stemmed from comments Elliott made about Cousins during the Spurs broadcast, after Cousins engaged in a bit of trash talk with Tim Duncan. Duncan responded by getting a block on Cousins and scoring a few times, after which Elliott let loose.
“That’s why some humility is in order,” Elliott said. “You think you’re dominating Tim Duncan, you get it stuffed right back in your face. Timmy doesn’t like to talk trash. But if guys start talking mess to him, he’s going to respond. All that trash talking was premature. I’m not about to let these guys off the hook. Young ballclubs…should learn from this. Don’t start talking and flapping your gums against one of the greatest players ever. He’s going to make you pay. Tell me who got the best of this exchange.”
Cousins heard about the remarks, and after the game came out of the locker room and waited for Elliott on the court while the postgame show was wrapping up, and then the two had words.
The punishment seems severe, but the league had to do something. Players simply cannot be allowed to confront an opponent’s broadcast team after a game, no matter what was said on the air.
Elliott is one of the league’s most notorious homers, and he has some part in this too; no one should say anything on the broadcast that they wouldn’t say to a player’s face. But from the NBA’s standpoint, they simply can’t have players attempting to intimidate the opposing team’s media members — hence, the suspension.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 0
- Dwight Howard’s drivers’ license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 6
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 48
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4