Nov 11, 2012, 1:19 PM EST
The dunk above by Chase Budinger came early on in the Timberwolves’ loss in Chicago on Saturday, and it might be the last highlight we see from him for at least a few games.
Budinger went down with a knee injury midway through the fourth quarter. The X-rays were negative, and he’ll be reevaluated Sunday. But it didn’t look good.
Kent Youngblood of the Star Tribune has the details:
The injury occurred midway through a brutally physical fourth quarter. The Bulls, protecting the basket like madmen (they had five fourth-quarter blocks) held a 78-70 lead when Dante Cunningham‘s 16-foot shot was blocked by Taj Gibson. In the ensuing scrum, Budinger — who had started in place of Roy — was hurt. Adelman thought his player had been pushed. Budinger, who initially didn’t speak with reporters, spoke briefly with NBA.com as he was leaving for the team bus.
“It was one of those crazy plays where my foot got stuck,” he said. “It got tangled up. I felt my leg twist. … The injuries are tough. It’s frustrating because I’ve never had a knee problem [like this].”
Minnesota has a talented group that should be competing for a playoff spot. But the team has been absolutely ravaged by injuries, so the hope is that the latest one isn’t too serious, and that the losses don’t pile up to the point where it makes coming back in the standings too tall of a task.
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 14
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 7
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 11
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 6
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 30
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (46)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)