Nov 11, 2012, 4:15 PM EDT
The contest had already been decided in Milwaukee’s favor, which is what made the contact look so bad at the time. Milwaukee’s Brandon Jennings took exception to the play, and came over to give Beal a two-handed shove as it appeared that Beal was leaning down to make sure Ellis wasn’t harmed.
Both players were ejected from the game — Jennings because of his role as firestarter of the altercation, and Beal because the foul was ruled a flagrant two by the officials, which comes with it an automatic ejection.
The league office has reviewed the play, and has downgraded the foul on Beal to a flagrant one. Michael Lee of the Washington Post has the particulars:
After reviewing the incident on Saturday, the NBA downgraded Beal’s infraction to a flagrant foul penalty one. Under league bylaws, Beal was eligible to get suspended and receive a fine of up to $50,000 after he was assessed a flagrant foul penalty two – unsportsmanlike contact defined as “unnecessary and excessive” – and an automatic ejection in the loss to Milwaukee.
But he didn’t get a suspension and his punishment has been reduced.
Again, it was likely the combination of the contact from both Beal and Booker was what sent Ellis crashing down so hard, and so awkwardly. It only makes sense to downgrade the foul.
As for Jennings, no word on a fine, and he didn’t receive a suspension, though he might as well have.
He played Saturday in his team’s loss to the Celtics, but managed just four points, five assists, and three turnovers in 42 minutes, while making just one of his 11 field goal attempts.
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 0
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 8
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 23