Michael Kidd-Gilchrist knocks a referee down during incident between Anthony Davis and Byron Mullens
Nov 10, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
Late in the second quarter of the Hornets’ win over the Bobcats on Friday, Anthony Davis and Byron Mullens got tangled up. There was some pushing and shoving to go along with the requisite showing of bravado, before the referees stepped in and the two had to be separated.
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist then came over to intervene, in what you’d hope was an attempt to calm rather than inflame the situation. But the official was already there, so MKG ended up running him over, which sent the ref tumbling to the ground.
There’s no guarantee Kidd-Gilchrist will be suspended for the contact; the rule book only specifies an automatic one-game suspension for making “intentional” contact with an official, and in this case, that’s going to be subjective.
If the league determines that the contact came as a result of Kidd-Gilchrist ignoring the fact that the referee was handling things to needlessly interject himself, then the suspension may come down anyway just to send a message.
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 6
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 29
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 35