Nov 10, 2012, 7:06 PM EDT
The Lakers and Phil Jackson sat down on Saturday to discuss the team’s head coaching vacancy, according to multiple reports. While no job offer was made at the conclusion of the talks, the understanding is that the job is Jackson’s to have if he decides he wants it.
There are plenty of other wrinkles and odds and ends surrounding the situation, so let’s hit the bullet points:
- The meeting took place with Lakers VP Jim Buss, reports Mike Bresnahan of the L.A. Times. This is significant because it’s believed an organizational power struggle between the two was one of the reasons Jackson stepped down a couple of seasons ago. Whatever issues they may have had in the past do not appear to be in the way of Jackson returning to coach the team.
- No other head coaching candidates have been contacted yet, as the Lakers appear focused on doing everything they can to land Jackson, reports Sam Amick of USA Today.
- Mike D’Antoni, Nate McMillan, and Mike Dunleavy are believed to be the candidates on the list below Jackson in some order, and the team may interview them while Jackson is in the decision-making process, in case he ends up declining.
- There is no timetable for Jackson to make his decision yet, but the longer it goes on, the talks with other potential candidates will intensify. Remember, the reason the Lakers pulled the trigger on Brown when they did was because they wanted to right the ship as quickly as possible; letting the permanent head coaching chair remain vacant for too long will somewhat defeat the purpose.
- Jackson has already reached out to former assistant coaches to gauge their interest in joining him back on the bench. Kurt Rambis, Jim Cleamons, and Frank Hamblen are believed to be the ones Jackson would want by his side, and the Lakers organization doesn’t have a problem with that.
- The main thing that Jackson may be weighing is the extensive and frequent travel required during the long regular season. His health is reportedly fine, but he’s grown tired of the grueling routine as he’s advanced in his years. In seasons past with the Lakers there were talks of him skipping certain road trips and letting a lead assistant coach the team while he stayed home, but that never became a reality. It may be part of the deal this time if Jackson ultimately takes the job.
We’re in wait-and-see mode at this stage, but all signs point to Jackson and the Lakers working out a deal at some point, given the amount of mutual interest in bringing the Hall of Fame head coach back to Los Angeles.
Sep 22, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT
He didn’t take anything seriously, so he was vintage Howard.
Sep 22, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
The Rockets’ defensive system is not the problem with James Harden.
Sep 22, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT
Jones previously played for the Grizzlies, Kings, Nuggets, Pacers, Mavericks and Hawks
Sep 22, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Former Pistons No. 2 draft pick putting some distance between himself and basketball
Sep 22, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
Great job, Danny. Great job.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
Jones – who played for the 76ers, Rockets, Bulls (during Michael Jordan’s rookie season), Trail Blazers and Spurs – helped shape Tim Duncan’s career
Sep 22, 2014, 2:04 PM EDT
Chandler: ‘We are going to be a great defensive team’
Sep 22, 2014, 1:29 PM EDT
There were multiple NBA players arrested on domestic abuse charges last year. The spotlight on those cases will be different now.
Sep 22, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
This is the Marcus Williams who played at Arizona, not Connecticut
Sep 22, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
James Blair can watch LeBron in person in Cleveland again
Sep 22, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
“The first thing I ever Googled about the man, the first thing that popped up was “racist.” So I was aware. I hate to say this, and it might sound ignorant, but I wasn’t surprised that all this came up.”—Blake Griffin on Donald Sterling
Sep 22, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT
A healthy D Rose could have the Bulls contending for a title.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:11 AM EDT
Toddler imitates Allen Iverson’s practice rant
Sep 22, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT
LeBron is gone but Miami is still playing small, pressuring the ball.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:05 AM EDT
Price will provide point guard depth – at least through training camp
Sep 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
“The truthful answer is I really don’t know.” —Danny Ainge on potentially trading Rajon Rondo
Sep 22, 2014, 12:21 AM EDT
Remember Sanders suffered a serious eye injury last season.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Way more Andre Iguodala than you might expect.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Turner’s stock has dropped significantly since being traded from the Sixers to the Pacers in the middle of last season.
NBA’s rookie transition program tries to educate, but some of the information is presented in poor taste
Sep 21, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
You can see what they’re trying to do, but some of the things presented went a bit too far.
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 5
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 11
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 14
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 10
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 16
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11