Nov 10, 2012, 7:06 PM EST
The Lakers and Phil Jackson sat down on Saturday to discuss the team’s head coaching vacancy, according to multiple reports. While no job offer was made at the conclusion of the talks, the understanding is that the job is Jackson’s to have if he decides he wants it.
There are plenty of other wrinkles and odds and ends surrounding the situation, so let’s hit the bullet points:
- The meeting took place with Lakers VP Jim Buss, reports Mike Bresnahan of the L.A. Times. This is significant because it’s believed an organizational power struggle between the two was one of the reasons Jackson stepped down a couple of seasons ago. Whatever issues they may have had in the past do not appear to be in the way of Jackson returning to coach the team.
- No other head coaching candidates have been contacted yet, as the Lakers appear focused on doing everything they can to land Jackson, reports Sam Amick of USA Today.
- Mike D’Antoni, Nate McMillan, and Mike Dunleavy are believed to be the candidates on the list below Jackson in some order, and the team may interview them while Jackson is in the decision-making process, in case he ends up declining.
- There is no timetable for Jackson to make his decision yet, but the longer it goes on, the talks with other potential candidates will intensify. Remember, the reason the Lakers pulled the trigger on Brown when they did was because they wanted to right the ship as quickly as possible; letting the permanent head coaching chair remain vacant for too long will somewhat defeat the purpose.
- Jackson has already reached out to former assistant coaches to gauge their interest in joining him back on the bench. Kurt Rambis, Jim Cleamons, and Frank Hamblen are believed to be the ones Jackson would want by his side, and the Lakers organization doesn’t have a problem with that.
- The main thing that Jackson may be weighing is the extensive and frequent travel required during the long regular season. His health is reportedly fine, but he’s grown tired of the grueling routine as he’s advanced in his years. In seasons past with the Lakers there were talks of him skipping certain road trips and letting a lead assistant coach the team while he stayed home, but that never became a reality. It may be part of the deal this time if Jackson ultimately takes the job.
We’re in wait-and-see mode at this stage, but all signs point to Jackson and the Lakers working out a deal at some point, given the amount of mutual interest in bringing the Hall of Fame head coach back to Los Angeles.
Nov 24, 2014, 1:17 PM EST
Pelicans guard dealing with yet another injury
Nov 24, 2014, 12:38 PM EST
Rockets without their two best defensive players
Nov 24, 2014, 11:38 AM EST
Trail Blazers star keeps elevating game. Will he ever level off?
Nov 24, 2014, 10:50 AM EST
Oklahoma City point guard throws down on Warriors
Nov 24, 2014, 10:14 AM EST
Do you prefer the original or the emulator?
Nov 24, 2014, 9:35 AM EST
Utah would reportedly send Jeremy Evans and Toure’ Murry to Brooklyn
Nov 24, 2014, 9:04 AM EST
Rockets center has missed last two games after plasma therapy on knee
Nov 24, 2014, 8:30 AM EST
Memphis can offer more money than anyone else, but Gasol will have options.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Wes did Gallinari wrong.
Nov 24, 2014, 2:36 AM EST
Few teams have been more of a let down so far this season than Charlotte.
Nov 24, 2014, 1:24 AM EST
Tony Allen has a little playground in his offensive game.
Nov 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
He is 0-for-13 in the Nets last two games.
Nov 23, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
This is funny. Cold, but funny.
Nov 23, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
What did you expect him to think?
Nov 23, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Whiteside has put up big numbers for the Iowa Energy.
Nov 23, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Henry has missed four games this season.
Nov 23, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
Rose could return Monday.
Nov 23, 2014, 2:01 PM EST
Bargnani was close to a return from his hamstring injury.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
The Pelicans are now without two starters.
Nov 23, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Combination of a lower price tag and a more diverse overall skill set may explain why.
- Damian Lillard, as stature grows, refuses to become content 3
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 7
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 11
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 20
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 54
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11