Nov 10, 2012, 7:06 PM EDT
The Lakers and Phil Jackson sat down on Saturday to discuss the team’s head coaching vacancy, according to multiple reports. While no job offer was made at the conclusion of the talks, the understanding is that the job is Jackson’s to have if he decides he wants it.
There are plenty of other wrinkles and odds and ends surrounding the situation, so let’s hit the bullet points:
– The meeting took place with Lakers VP Jim Buss, reports Mike Bresnahan of the L.A. Times. This is significant because it’s believed an organizational power struggle between the two was one of the reasons Jackson stepped down a couple of seasons ago. Whatever issues they may have had in the past do not appear to be in the way of Jackson returning to coach the team.
– No other head coaching candidates have been contacted yet, as the Lakers appear focused on doing everything they can to land Jackson, reports Sam Amick of USA Today.
– Mike D’Antoni, Nate McMillan, and Mike Dunleavy are believed to be the candidates on the list below Jackson in some order, and the team may interview them while Jackson is in the decision-making process, in case he ends up declining.
– There is no timetable for Jackson to make his decision yet, but the longer it goes on, the talks with other potential candidates will intensify. Remember, the reason the Lakers pulled the trigger on Brown when they did was because they wanted to right the ship as quickly as possible; letting the permanent head coaching chair remain vacant for too long will somewhat defeat the purpose.
– Jackson has already reached out to former assistant coaches to gauge their interest in joining him back on the bench. Kurt Rambis, Jim Cleamons, and Frank Hamblen are believed to be the ones Jackson would want by his side, and the Lakers organization doesn’t have a problem with that.
– The main thing that Jackson may be weighing is the extensive and frequent travel required during the long regular season. His health is reportedly fine, but he’s grown tired of the grueling routine as he’s advanced in his years. In seasons past with the Lakers there were talks of him skipping certain road trips and letting a lead assistant coach the team while he stayed home, but that never became a reality. It may be part of the deal this time if Jackson ultimately takes the job.
We’re in wait-and-see mode at this stage, but all signs point to Jackson and the Lakers working out a deal at some point, given the amount of mutual interest in bringing the Hall of Fame head coach back to Los Angeles.
Apr 28, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
Can Austin Rivers have another strong game?
Apr 28, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Houston needs to make adjustments to the new Dallas starting lineup.
Apr 28, 2015, 2:13 AM EDT
Without Mike Conley to check him Damian Lillard ran free.
Apr 28, 2015, 1:14 AM EDT
D-Will tied his career playoff high with this.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:23 PM EDT
Michael Carter-Williams and Khris Middleton combined for 43 points.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:56 PM EDT
Series is now tied at 2-2.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT
Washington’s averaged defender distance to the Toronto shooter was 3.55 feet, the closest defense any team played in the first round of the playoffs.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:58 PM EDT
The doctor will decide if microfracture is needed while doing a scope.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:17 PM EDT
The Cavs will be without two starters for the first two games of next round.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT
Davis was +35 when playing while Green sat, -55 while Green was on the court at the same time.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:22 PM EDT
He would have been key against the Bulls to help space the floor.
Apr 27, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
Olynyk finds common ground with Clevelanders
Apr 27, 2015, 4:59 PM EDT
Stats show Boston defended LeBron well, he just hit the shots anyway.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
I say Smith should get at least three games.
Apr 27, 2015, 3:44 PM EDT
They need the swelling to go down to get a sense of his return,
Apr 27, 2015, 3:07 PM EDT
Preview socks for the Cavaliers, Heat, Spurs and Warriors
Apr 27, 2015, 2:29 PM EDT
Cavaliers gave him a chance to wait by sweeping Celtics
Apr 27, 2015, 1:49 PM EDT
Rockets lost closeout game to Dallas
Apr 27, 2015, 1:12 PM EDT
Wallace owed more than $10 million next season
Apr 27, 2015, 12:26 PM EDT
What does Walker’s cratered draft stock say about Billy Donovan?
- PBT Extra: Who wins Game 5 between Spurs, Clippers? Flip a coin. 0
- PBT Extra: Rockets must adjust to new Mavericks starting lineup in Game 5 0
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 5
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 14
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 40