Nov 10, 2012, 7:06 PM EDT
The Lakers and Phil Jackson sat down on Saturday to discuss the team’s head coaching vacancy, according to multiple reports. While no job offer was made at the conclusion of the talks, the understanding is that the job is Jackson’s to have if he decides he wants it.
There are plenty of other wrinkles and odds and ends surrounding the situation, so let’s hit the bullet points:
– The meeting took place with Lakers VP Jim Buss, reports Mike Bresnahan of the L.A. Times. This is significant because it’s believed an organizational power struggle between the two was one of the reasons Jackson stepped down a couple of seasons ago. Whatever issues they may have had in the past do not appear to be in the way of Jackson returning to coach the team.
– No other head coaching candidates have been contacted yet, as the Lakers appear focused on doing everything they can to land Jackson, reports Sam Amick of USA Today.
– Mike D’Antoni, Nate McMillan, and Mike Dunleavy are believed to be the candidates on the list below Jackson in some order, and the team may interview them while Jackson is in the decision-making process, in case he ends up declining.
– There is no timetable for Jackson to make his decision yet, but the longer it goes on, the talks with other potential candidates will intensify. Remember, the reason the Lakers pulled the trigger on Brown when they did was because they wanted to right the ship as quickly as possible; letting the permanent head coaching chair remain vacant for too long will somewhat defeat the purpose.
– Jackson has already reached out to former assistant coaches to gauge their interest in joining him back on the bench. Kurt Rambis, Jim Cleamons, and Frank Hamblen are believed to be the ones Jackson would want by his side, and the Lakers organization doesn’t have a problem with that.
– The main thing that Jackson may be weighing is the extensive and frequent travel required during the long regular season. His health is reportedly fine, but he’s grown tired of the grueling routine as he’s advanced in his years. In seasons past with the Lakers there were talks of him skipping certain road trips and letting a lead assistant coach the team while he stayed home, but that never became a reality. It may be part of the deal this time if Jackson ultimately takes the job.
We’re in wait-and-see mode at this stage, but all signs point to Jackson and the Lakers working out a deal at some point, given the amount of mutual interest in bringing the Hall of Fame head coach back to Los Angeles.
Sep 2, 2015, 3:14 PM EDT
Advanced stats aren’t always the answer
Sep 2, 2015, 2:17 PM EDT
If only I could get people to run up to fist bump me while I walk…
Sep 2, 2015, 1:20 PM EDT
I’m not optimistic, but at least they appear to be trying
Sep 2, 2015, 12:23 PM EDT
Point guard reportedly working out in Philadelphia
Sep 2, 2015, 11:33 AM EDT
Watch this and try not to smile
Sep 2, 2015, 10:33 AM EDT
Heat got a steal
Sep 2, 2015, 9:28 AM EDT
Sep 2, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
Welcome to the big stage, Canada.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
For Lawson personally I hope this move and this situation is what he needs to get his life in order.
Sep 2, 2015, 12:05 AM EDT
Lin’s alter ego: Wayne
Sep 1, 2015, 11:07 PM EDT
Griffin will give Pistons 19 players, 17 with guaranteed salaries
Sep 1, 2015, 10:07 PM EDT
LeBron indicates 1999-00 Trail Blazers were great, implies something about his own career
Sep 1, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT
Goran Dragic, Dwyane Wade, Luol Deng, Chris Bosh and Hassan Whiteside look pretty good on paper
Sep 1, 2015, 8:01 PM EDT
Russians don’t even have Alexey Shved
Sep 1, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT
Luis Scola leads Argentina to victory over Canada
Sep 1, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT
He’s a 6’7″ combo guard with a lot of potential
Sep 1, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Well, that’s one.
Sep 1, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
It’s not just baseball and boxing anymore.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT
Miami is a long shot to land him, but you can bet Pat Riley will have them positioned for a run.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:19 PM EDT
Lots of pump fakes. Lots and lots of pump fakes.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32