Nov 10, 2012, 7:06 PM EDT
The Lakers and Phil Jackson sat down on Saturday to discuss the team’s head coaching vacancy, according to multiple reports. While no job offer was made at the conclusion of the talks, the understanding is that the job is Jackson’s to have if he decides he wants it.
There are plenty of other wrinkles and odds and ends surrounding the situation, so let’s hit the bullet points:
– The meeting took place with Lakers VP Jim Buss, reports Mike Bresnahan of the L.A. Times. This is significant because it’s believed an organizational power struggle between the two was one of the reasons Jackson stepped down a couple of seasons ago. Whatever issues they may have had in the past do not appear to be in the way of Jackson returning to coach the team.
– No other head coaching candidates have been contacted yet, as the Lakers appear focused on doing everything they can to land Jackson, reports Sam Amick of USA Today.
– Mike D’Antoni, Nate McMillan, and Mike Dunleavy are believed to be the candidates on the list below Jackson in some order, and the team may interview them while Jackson is in the decision-making process, in case he ends up declining.
– There is no timetable for Jackson to make his decision yet, but the longer it goes on, the talks with other potential candidates will intensify. Remember, the reason the Lakers pulled the trigger on Brown when they did was because they wanted to right the ship as quickly as possible; letting the permanent head coaching chair remain vacant for too long will somewhat defeat the purpose.
– Jackson has already reached out to former assistant coaches to gauge their interest in joining him back on the bench. Kurt Rambis, Jim Cleamons, and Frank Hamblen are believed to be the ones Jackson would want by his side, and the Lakers organization doesn’t have a problem with that.
– The main thing that Jackson may be weighing is the extensive and frequent travel required during the long regular season. His health is reportedly fine, but he’s grown tired of the grueling routine as he’s advanced in his years. In seasons past with the Lakers there were talks of him skipping certain road trips and letting a lead assistant coach the team while he stayed home, but that never became a reality. It may be part of the deal this time if Jackson ultimately takes the job.
We’re in wait-and-see mode at this stage, but all signs point to Jackson and the Lakers working out a deal at some point, given the amount of mutual interest in bringing the Hall of Fame head coach back to Los Angeles.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Clippers would need to ink Robinson for the rest of the season, but are waiting to see how quickly he can return after a recent knee injury.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Speights said the Warriors knew the Wizards would quit after Golden State beat them recently, and Washington’s coach responds.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Brooklyn is a half-game out of the eighth and final playoff spot in the East.
Mar 26, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
Crawford has been dealing with a calf bruise.
Mar 26, 2015, 6:26 PM EDT
The NBA is the only major sports league featured.
Mar 26, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Mutombo had previously denied it.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
The Wizards have become stagnant in recent weeks.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:59 PM EDT
Woodson is an assistant with the Clippers now.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Mar 26, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Timofey Mozgov in a backward jersey? Timofey Mozgov in a backward jersey
Mar 26, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
Houston own’s Llull’s draft rights
Mar 26, 2015, 1:06 PM EDT
Jazz center makes it look easy
Mar 26, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT
Thunder guard again confrontational in post-game interview
Mar 26, 2015, 11:37 AM EDT
Jazz guard just suddenly went down
Mar 26, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT
Spurs big man apparently earned $100 by making 3-pointer against Thunder
Mar 26, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
Referees miss blatant out of bounds call, clock momentarily stops before restarting
Mar 26, 2015, 9:47 AM EDT
The best matchup of the weekend may be Jakob Poeltl vs. Jahlil Okafor.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:08 AM EDT
That might be fair, but what about all Love’s reasons for being frustrated with Cavaliers?
Mar 26, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
Mavericks owner reverses course
Mar 26, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Raptors crumble in fourth quarter during loss to Chicago
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 1
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 79
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20