Nov 10, 2012, 4:19 PM EDT
Kevin McHale will be taking a leave of absence from the team effective immediately, according to a team release.
The absence is family-related, which always makes these types of situations that much more sensitive.
From the official release:
Houston Rockets Head Coach Kevin McHale will be taking an immediate leave of absence from the team to attend to a personal family matter. Assistant Coach Kelvin Sampson will handle head coaching duties during McHale’s time away. No return date has been set for McHale at this time.
“Kevin is a devoted family man who is needed back home in Minnesota at the moment,” said Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey. “The Rockets organization will keep Kevin and his family in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.”
The Rockets have been a lot more interesting to watch in the early stages of the season, thanks mainly to the trade that brought James Harden to town to play alongside offseason acquisition Jeremy Lin in the team’s backcourt. Houston currently sits at 2-3 in the Southwest Division standings.
We join the Rockets organization in sending nothing but positive wishes out to McHale and his family.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32