Nov 10, 2012, 9:45 PM EST
Sean Elliott is pretty much the definition of a “homer” when he’s working as an analyst on the Spurs television broadcast. His commentary is one-sided, which is probably fine if you’re a Spurs fan, but for those who aren’t, it makes it a little difficult to listen to.
We’re just interested observers, though. Imagine how irritating Elliott’s courtside comments might actually be to an opposing player.
DeMarcus Cousins of the Kings caught Elliott’s ire on Friday, after Cousins supposedly trash-talked in the vicinity of Tim Duncan. After Duncan responded by scoring a few times on Cousins, Elliott let loose with the rip job.
According to Elliott, Cousins — never known for his maturity or good decision-making — said something to the effect of, “I’m going to bust his (expletive).”
Crowed an angry Elliott:
“That’s why some humility is in order. You think you’re dominating Tim Duncan, you get it stuffed right back in your face. Timmy doesn’t like to talk trash. But if guys start talking mess to him, he’s going to respond. All that trash talking was premature. I’m not about to let these guys off the hook. Young ballclubs…should learn from this. Don’t start talking and flapping your gums against one of the greatest players ever. He’s going to make you pay. Tell me who got the best of this exchange.”
Cousins, as you might imagine, didn’t appreciate these remarks. His response comes in the video clip below (via Cowbell Kingdom).
“I mean me and Tim, we’re good,” Cousins said. “Like I said, I have the utmost respect for him. But for the commentator to say the things that he said, that was immature.”
Cousins responded in a way that was thoughtful and measured; for a guy with a reputation of questionable maturity, he was the one who came across as the far bigger person here.
While Cousins may indeed have lost the on-court battle to Duncan, he most certainly got the best of this exchange.
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 2
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 35