Nov 10, 2012, 9:45 PM EDT
Sean Elliott is pretty much the definition of a “homer” when he’s working as an analyst on the Spurs television broadcast. His commentary is one-sided, which is probably fine if you’re a Spurs fan, but for those who aren’t, it makes it a little difficult to listen to.
We’re just interested observers, though. Imagine how irritating Elliott’s courtside comments might actually be to an opposing player.
DeMarcus Cousins of the Kings caught Elliott’s ire on Friday, after Cousins supposedly trash-talked in the vicinity of Tim Duncan. After Duncan responded by scoring a few times on Cousins, Elliott let loose with the rip job.
According to Elliott, Cousins — never known for his maturity or good decision-making — said something to the effect of, “I’m going to bust his (expletive).”
Crowed an angry Elliott:
“That’s why some humility is in order. You think you’re dominating Tim Duncan, you get it stuffed right back in your face. Timmy doesn’t like to talk trash. But if guys start talking mess to him, he’s going to respond. All that trash talking was premature. I’m not about to let these guys off the hook. Young ballclubs…should learn from this. Don’t start talking and flapping your gums against one of the greatest players ever. He’s going to make you pay. Tell me who got the best of this exchange.”
Cousins, as you might imagine, didn’t appreciate these remarks. His response comes in the video clip below (via Cowbell Kingdom).
“I mean me and Tim, we’re good,” Cousins said. “Like I said, I have the utmost respect for him. But for the commentator to say the things that he said, that was immature.”
Cousins responded in a way that was thoughtful and measured; for a guy with a reputation of questionable maturity, he was the one who came across as the far bigger person here.
While Cousins may indeed have lost the on-court battle to Duncan, he most certainly got the best of this exchange.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 3
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 15
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 4
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 46
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 36
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 15
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23