Nov 10, 2012, 10:25 PM EDT
Brandon Roy returning to basketball after being forced to retire due to knee issues is certainly a heartwarming story. But he’s been a shell of his former self in his first few games with the Timberwolves this season, and those knee issues are creeping up once again.
Roy sat out Saturday’s game against the Bulls due to soreness in his right knee, reports ESPNChicago. He’s considered day to day with the injury, and Timberwolves head coach Rick Adelman doesn’t know how long he’ll be out, but did say that coming into the season, a certain amount of missed time from Roy was to be expected.
“You know the guys that have had the knee problems he’s had or anybody who had knee problems, you’re going to have things where you step back a little bit. So I’m not going to be overly concerned right now.
“We knew it could be a situation where he wouldn’t be playing (at times this season.) But we didn’t know when it was. We just had to go and try to play him and take it day by day and see how he’s responded. So far since the start of training camp, he’s been pretty good. Hopefully, it’s just a minor setback. I certainly expected him not to go all the way through the whole time (this season).”
Chase Budinger got the start for Roy on Saturday, and managed nine points and four assists in 28 minutes. Minnesota dropped the game in Chicago by a final of 87-80 to fall to 4-2 on the young season.
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 0
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 12
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 52
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 6