Nov 10, 2012, 10:25 PM EST
Brandon Roy returning to basketball after being forced to retire due to knee issues is certainly a heartwarming story. But he’s been a shell of his former self in his first few games with the Timberwolves this season, and those knee issues are creeping up once again.
Roy sat out Saturday’s game against the Bulls due to soreness in his right knee, reports ESPNChicago. He’s considered day to day with the injury, and Timberwolves head coach Rick Adelman doesn’t know how long he’ll be out, but did say that coming into the season, a certain amount of missed time from Roy was to be expected.
“You know the guys that have had the knee problems he’s had or anybody who had knee problems, you’re going to have things where you step back a little bit. So I’m not going to be overly concerned right now.
“We knew it could be a situation where he wouldn’t be playing (at times this season.) But we didn’t know when it was. We just had to go and try to play him and take it day by day and see how he’s responded. So far since the start of training camp, he’s been pretty good. Hopefully, it’s just a minor setback. I certainly expected him not to go all the way through the whole time (this season).”
Chase Budinger got the start for Roy on Saturday, and managed nine points and four assists in 28 minutes. Minnesota dropped the game in Chicago by a final of 87-80 to fall to 4-2 on the young season.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)