Nov 9, 2012, 3:56 PM EDT
If you know him or have listened to Mike Brown speak, you knew he wasn’t going all “Stan Van Gundy on the Magic” when he decided to speak on being fired by the Lakers Friday. Heck, he wasn’t even going to go Stan Van Gundy on the Lakers.
Rather, he was polite.
“I have great respect for the Buss family and the Lakers’ storied tradition and I thank them for the opportunity they afforded me. I have a deep appreciation for the coaches and players that I worked with this past year and I wish the organization nothing but success as they move forward.”
Whether or not you thought this firing was fair, you have to give Brown credit for this — he handled all this like a true professional. There have been people criticizing him since the day he was hired and this season that ratcheted up to unreasonable levels (like a death threat to his son). Through it all he stood there and took it, he answered questions, he didn’t go around telling people to shut up (that was Kobe Bryant) or snapping at people. You can see why people around the league like him.
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 9
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 24
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 8
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 16
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 102
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (102)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'