Kobe posts comments on Mike Brown’s firing to his Facebook page

Nov 9, 2012, 4:33 PM EDT

Kobe Bryant AP

Kobe Bryant and his “death stare” likely had nothing to do with the fact that the Lakers pulled the trigger and dismissed Mike Brown on Friday, but it probably didn’t help much, either.

While publicly Bryant couldn’t have been more supportive of Brown and the job he was trying to do, the reality is that the losses and they way they were coming were intolerable to one of the game’s greats who has a very small window to win another championship or two before his time in the league is done.

Bryant remained publicly polite to Brown, in comments he posted to his Facebook page after the news was announced.

Tough day. I’ve seen coaches as well as friends come and go. No matter how many years I’ve been playing, it’s still hard to deal with. I had a good relationship with Mike and I will continue to have one. I wish him and his family nothing but the best. I spoke with him today and thanked him for all of his hard work and sacrifice.

As a team, we must focus our energy on tonight’s game. We must block out the weight of today’s news and simply do our jobs to the best of our ability.

I’m not sure what direction we are heading in next. All I can do is focus on the here and now.
Mamba out

Bryant is a professional; he wasn’t going to bash Brown while he was employed, and he’s not going to do it now that Brown is not.

Still, it’s hard to imagine Bryant being too broken up about his team’s decision given this season’s frustrating start.

Latest Posts
  1. Jodie Meeks wants to bring some Kobe Bryant work ethic to Detroit

Sep 2, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT

New York Knicks v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

The young Pistons could use this kind of locker room leader.

2. Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush”

Sep 2, 2014, 7:59 AM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Game Four Getty Images

“I’ve played 18 years, and the way I look at my career, I’m content with everything that I’ve done. I just want to take this summer and see how it goes.” —Ray Allen

3. FIBA World Cup Day 3 roundup: Pau Gasol drops 26 on Brazil as Spain looks dominant

Sep 2, 2014, 12:45 AM EDT

Anderson Varejao, Pau Gasol AP

Pau Gasol dropped 26 on Brazil, grabbed 9 boards and even blocked Nene at the rim.

4. Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now”

Sep 1, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT

Derrick Rose Derrick Rose

“I’m feeling good right now. Just trying to get in better shape, get in better condition, so that when I do need to score the ball, then it’ll be there.” —Derrick Rose

5. Kings waive Wayne Ellington

Sep 1, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Ellington, acquired in trade from Knicks, likely stretched

6. Pacers to sign Chris Singleton

Sep 1, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT

chris-singleton Getty Images

Former Wizard provides depth at small forward following Paul George’s injury

7. Mason Plumlee wants you to know Duke, Nike had nothing to do with him making Team USA

Sep 1, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Finland v USA Getty Images

“If you were at our practices and our training camp, anybody that was there, they would see why I made the team.” —Mason Plumlee

8. Elephant dunks a basketball?

Sep 1, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

Elephant dunks a basketball.

9. Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold

Sep 1, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT

Detroit Pistons v Boston Celtics Getty Images

This makes more sense, but he could get moved near the deadline.

10. Report: Clippers close to deal with Chris Douglas-Roberts

Sep 1, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT

Chris Douglas-Roberts, Gary Neal Chris Douglas-Roberts, Gary Neal

This would be a solid pickup for the bench, especially at the league minimum.

11. Heat demote two assistants to hire Juwan Howard

Sep 1, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Ron Rothstein and Bob McAdoo lose bench spots, could stay with Miami

12. Kevin Durant confirms he is staying with Nike

Sep 1, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

12-390_Nike_KDV_Upper_Detail-02_original

This is a win for Jay-Z’s Roc Nation.

13. James Harden with more bad defense in USA’s win over Turkey (VIDEO)

Sep 1, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Team USA Practice Session Getty Images

Harden’s reputation on the defensive end of the floor continues to grow.

14. Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade

Sep 1, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Boston Celtics Getty Images

Whether he asked out or not doesn’t really change his situation much.

15. Report: Hedo Turkoglu nearing free agent deal to return to Clippers

Aug 31, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Washington Wizards v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

Turkoglu didn’t do much in L.A. last year, but Chris Paul recently touted the importance of consistency in the Clippers’ chances for success next season.

16. James Harden’s four-point play vs. Turkey (VIDEO)

Aug 31, 2014, 7:59 PM EDT

James Harden James Harden

James Harden makes the PUJIT work for him.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches