Kobe posts comments on Mike Brown’s firing to his Facebook page

Nov 9, 2012, 4:33 PM EDT

Kobe Bryant AP

Kobe Bryant and his “death stare” likely had nothing to do with the fact that the Lakers pulled the trigger and dismissed Mike Brown on Friday, but it probably didn’t help much, either.

While publicly Bryant couldn’t have been more supportive of Brown and the job he was trying to do, the reality is that the losses and they way they were coming were intolerable to one of the game’s greats who has a very small window to win another championship or two before his time in the league is done.

Bryant remained publicly polite to Brown, in comments he posted to his Facebook page after the news was announced.

Tough day. I’ve seen coaches as well as friends come and go. No matter how many years I’ve been playing, it’s still hard to deal with. I had a good relationship with Mike and I will continue to have one. I wish him and his family nothing but the best. I spoke with him today and thanked him for all of his hard work and sacrifice.

As a team, we must focus our energy on tonight’s game. We must block out the weight of today’s news and simply do our jobs to the best of our ability.

I’m not sure what direction we are heading in next. All I can do is focus on the here and now.
Mamba out

Still, it’s hard to imagine Bryant being too broken up about his team’s decision given this season’s frustrating start.

1. dls612 - Nov 9, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Are u serious!! He acts as if he’s stunned! It’s like someone stealing your wallet and helping you look for it! Come on Kobe!

2. bucs24 - Nov 9, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Is GM Kobe going to fire Mitch

3. pricejustin24 - Nov 9, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Nice analogy dls… Wait, not really. Kobe didn’t pick this moron of a coach and he didn’t fire him either. Just wasn’t a good fit from the start. It’s Showtime, not Slowtime. Defense wins championships… Just not in LA.

• letangusespertplus - Nov 9, 2012 at 6:36 PM

only when the lakers play detroit then?

4. emosnar - Nov 9, 2012 at 6:30 PM

… Mamba out? lol. Freak.

5. mogogo1 - Nov 9, 2012 at 6:47 PM

The truth is always in what ISN’T said. Yes, Kobe was polite but he certainly didn’t say letting Brown go was the wrong move. And while he thanked him for “hard work” and “sacrifice” he never said he thought Brown was a very good coach.

It’s like the line from Christmas Vacation: “But he worked really hard, Grandpa.” “So do washing machines.”

6. houstonoilers - Nov 9, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Coach Mamba? he’s been running the team the last 5 years anyway

7. banggbiskit - Nov 10, 2012 at 1:56 AM

The lakers are getting harder and harder to root for day by day. Go Clippers!

8. divan22 - Nov 10, 2012 at 2:27 AM

“Bryant is a professional; he wasn’t going to bash Brown while he was employed, and he’s not going to do it now that Brown is not.”

Smush Parker disagrees.

9. mophatici - Nov 10, 2012 at 2:27 AM

let’s hope that Howard can take a lesson from Kobe on the right way to end a player-coach relationship. I’m sure that Howard’s childishness last year helped expediate this decision. Nobody ever wants to see that again.

10. macjacmccoy - Nov 10, 2012 at 1:14 PM

What planet are you from all Kobe does is bash people. Yeah maybe he didnt this time but to say Kobe’s a professional and to infer that that’s not his style is ludicrous.

11. mazblast - Nov 10, 2012 at 1:59 PM

This reminds me of a Chris Rock bit. “A [bleep] will steal your stuff, then come over and say, ‘Heard you got robbed, man’.”

His Kobeness being smug and self-satisfied, as usual. Plays when he wants to, cites various “injuries” when he doesn’t want to play or practice, tells the front office when he’s unhappy and wants someone fired. This time, he not only dictated who he wanted on the team, but forced Brown to totally change the offense, was “hurt” and couldn’t practice/play in the pre-season, then got the coach fired because the team was (surprise!) not in sync.

If I had a co-worker like His Kobeness, I’d always sit with my back to a wall and always get my brought-in food in sealed containers.

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches