Nov 8, 2012, 12:37 PM EDT
Cleveland did not look like same team in a loss to Golden State Wednesday as they did beating the Clippers Monday. Because they weren’t.
No Anderson Varejao and his 15 points and 16 rebounds a game so far this season, he tweaked his knee against the Clippers. No backup big man Tyler Zeller and his solid 18 minutes a night, he was out with a concussion and a broken cheekbone. The result was Golden State’s David Lee having his best game of the season and leading his team to a win.
Good news for Cleveland is they should get both of their players back sooner rather than later, reports the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
There is no official timeline for Zeller’s return, although he likely won’t play in Friday’s game at Phoenix…. There remains a chance he could return for Sunday’s game at Oklahoma City….
Varejao collided with Ryan Hollins during Monday’s game, but was able to make it through the rest of the game. The knee stiffened up over the last couple of days, but it isn’t considered serious.
Varejao could be back Friday night, he practiced with the team Thursday.
Zeller is out of the team’s hands — the league concussion policy calls for Zeller to be cleared by a league neurologist after passing a battery of tests. Brain injuries are tricky to predict, he could be back Sunday or it could be two weeks. But neither Zeller nor the Cavs get to make the call. When he is cleared he will wear a mask until his cheekbone is fully healed.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 28
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 43
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4