Nov 8, 2012, 12:37 PM EDT
Cleveland did not look like same team in a loss to Golden State Wednesday as they did beating the Clippers Monday. Because they weren’t.
No Anderson Varejao and his 15 points and 16 rebounds a game so far this season, he tweaked his knee against the Clippers. No backup big man Tyler Zeller and his solid 18 minutes a night, he was out with a concussion and a broken cheekbone. The result was Golden State’s David Lee having his best game of the season and leading his team to a win.
Good news for Cleveland is they should get both of their players back sooner rather than later, reports the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
There is no official timeline for Zeller’s return, although he likely won’t play in Friday’s game at Phoenix…. There remains a chance he could return for Sunday’s game at Oklahoma City….
Varejao collided with Ryan Hollins during Monday’s game, but was able to make it through the rest of the game. The knee stiffened up over the last couple of days, but it isn’t considered serious.
Varejao could be back Friday night, he practiced with the team Thursday.
Zeller is out of the team’s hands — the league concussion policy calls for Zeller to be cleared by a league neurologist after passing a battery of tests. Brain injuries are tricky to predict, he could be back Sunday or it could be two weeks. But neither Zeller nor the Cavs get to make the call. When he is cleared he will wear a mask until his cheekbone is fully healed.
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 0
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 17
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 14
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 40
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 25
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger