Nov 8, 2012, 6:54 PM EST
Now that the Nets are in Brooklyn, do they stand a chance of landing a superstar free agent?
Could they land LeBron or Wade in 2014 when the Heat stars can opt out of their deals? Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here.
Wade and LeBron both told the New York Daily News they didn’t choose to go to Brooklyn in 2010 because they didn’t want to spend a couple years in Newark as the team was built up. But now that they are in Brooklyn, things could be different with future free agents.
Wade, who joked he was upset Jay Z skipped his meeting in 2010 after attending LeBron’s, even hinted that he’d consider the Nets as a destination.
He and James can opt out of their contracts and become free agents after next season.
“I’m sure they’ll be a lot more attractive to guys,” Wade said. “That’s all I can say (smiling), they’re more attractive.”
LeBron to the Nets in 2014 isn’t happening. Sorry.
It’s not as if Lakers fans haven’t started speculating about LeBron leaving Miami in 2014 when he can opt out of his deal. So if you want Brooklyn, join in.
But it’s not happening: Your team can’t do it because you locked yourself in with the guys on your roster now — you are already committed to $73 million in salary the season after LeBron theoretically could be a free agent. There is $23.2 million for Joe Johnson, $19.8 for Deron Williams, $15.7 million for Brook Lopez, $10.1 million for Gerald Wallace, and that’s just the eight-digit commitments.
You are going to be way over the salary cap that season, more like flirting with the luxury tax. So you better like the roster you have now, because you’re going to have it for a few more years.
Still, the good news here is that someday when you can chase free agents — say the summer of 2016 — they may want to come there.
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 2
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 7
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 17
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 30