Nov 8, 2012, 10:14 AM EDT
DeAndre Jordan loves this play. LOVES IT.
Nutmeg is an old-school term, believe it or not. Seriously. The stuffy Oxford English Dictionary says the term (when not talking about the food) is first seem “in the 1870s which in Victorian slang came to mean ‘to be tricked or deceived, especially in a manner which makes the victim look foolish.” From there it evolved into a soccer term for when a guy dribbles the ball between a defender’s legs.
Or, in basketball, again it is to dribble the basketball between your defender’s legs. Which is what the Clippers Jamal Crawford does to the Spurs Nando De Colo. Even Jeff Van Gundy knows that it meant. Well, not the Victorian era stuff, but the foolish, dribble through the legs part.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18