Nov 8, 2012, 10:14 AM EDT
DeAndre Jordan loves this play. LOVES IT.
Nutmeg is an old-school term, believe it or not. Seriously. The stuffy Oxford English Dictionary says the term (when not talking about the food) is first seem “in the 1870s which in Victorian slang came to mean ‘to be tricked or deceived, especially in a manner which makes the victim look foolish.” From there it evolved into a soccer term for when a guy dribbles the ball between a defender’s legs.
Or, in basketball, again it is to dribble the basketball between your defender’s legs. Which is what the Clippers Jamal Crawford does to the Spurs Nando De Colo. Even Jeff Van Gundy knows that it meant. Well, not the Victorian era stuff, but the foolish, dribble through the legs part.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 0
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48