Nov 8, 2012, 10:14 AM EST
DeAndre Jordan loves this play. LOVES IT.
Nutmeg is an old-school term, believe it or not. Seriously. The stuffy Oxford English Dictionary says the term (when not talking about the food) is first seem “in the 1870s which in Victorian slang came to mean ‘to be tricked or deceived, especially in a manner which makes the victim look foolish.” From there it evolved into a soccer term for when a guy dribbles the ball between a defender’s legs.
Or, in basketball, again it is to dribble the basketball between your defender’s legs. Which is what the Clippers Jamal Crawford does to the Spurs Nando De Colo. Even Jeff Van Gundy knows that it meant. Well, not the Victorian era stuff, but the foolish, dribble through the legs part.
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 17
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 15
- LeBron says he has open door policy, would certainly speak to Paul George 28
- Report: Knicks met with Phil Jackson about coaching them 42
- Extra Pass: Golden State Warriors defending at historically high level 5