Thunder unveil new alternate uniforms

Nov 8, 2012, 6:26 PM EDT

okc alt uniforms

The Thunder have arguably one of the worst logos in the league, especially when contrasting it with how exciting the product is on the court.

The colors aren’t bad, but the logo the team went with seems like it was chosen from a contest between third-graders to submit their best designs.

There’s a new uniform in town now, if only for select games this season. The photo comes from OKC’s official Twitter account, and shows a very basic design of navy blue with white trim.

As for what inspired the new look, we’ll let the team’s website take it from here:

The new uniform illustrates many characteristics inherent in our identity:

• The two-color scheme is simplistic yet bold in the dominant use of navy blue and white.
• The unique vertical presentation of the word ‘T-H-U-N-D-E-R’ demonstrates strength and illustrates the rising nature of our team and community.
• The font used for numbers and letters are consistent with our current uniform while the script ‘Oklahoma City’ on the shorts provides a classic, yet modern, application.
• The vertical ‘O-K-C’ on the shorts embraces the organic and loyal support of our fans who chant those letters throughout home games.

Overall, the minimalist design and clean lines are timeless and reflect the personality of our industrious, hard-working, proud and committed community.

Personally, I’m not feeling these. A little too plain for a flashy young team, and there just seems to be something lacking here. Also, is anyone else distracted by the fact that the vertical stripe on the jersey doesn’t align with the one on the shorts?

Let me know if I’m way off base here, but like the original Thunder uniforms, it just doesn’t seem like enough thought was put into creating something all that sharp.

1. mogogo1 - Nov 8, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Horrid marketing-speak. And I’m not feeling these uniforms, either. Very bland. They make me think old ABA, but not the cool old unis just the ones where they threw a name on them because they couldn’t think of anything better to do.

2. prosourcetalk - Nov 8, 2012 at 6:48 PM

They would all look great in the old Sonics uniforms…

3. superseahawk - Nov 8, 2012 at 6:49 PM

They’re trying to be retro while they have no history. I didn’t know vertical writing meant anything, kinda seems like a reach on their part.

• ron05342 - Nov 8, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Agreed…reminds me of the old Cincinnati Royals uniforms.

Obviously, with the link below, its more of a reminder…its purely a takeaway with some small adjustments.

• johnmindiola - Nov 9, 2012 at 1:55 AM

That Royals jersey is sick. The Thunder missed on this opportunity.

4. dls612 - Nov 8, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Who ever designed them was over thinking it , the word thunder vertically on the right side!

5. naborczyk - Nov 8, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I think Durant’s WTF face speaks for itself.

6. flyrocket31 - Nov 8, 2012 at 7:02 PM

making room for advertisements. :( stupid!…. just like the spurs alternate jerseys

7. harrymcdowell - Nov 8, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I guess the league is looking for a minimalistic look??

8. mydadyourmom - Nov 8, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Ugly uniforms and worse name. On the plus side, they are quite good.

9. ninthwardfriend - Nov 8, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I can dig it!

10. joroberts10 - Nov 8, 2012 at 10:19 PM

The Thunder need to make a flashy orange uniform, kinda like what the Cavs wore when Lebron was there

• philadelphiafan - Nov 9, 2012 at 4:00 AM

I’ve been thinking the same thing. Orange uniforms with some kind of “OKC” design on the front. I’d buy one.

11. lamborginipercy12 - Nov 8, 2012 at 10:34 PM

New jerseys are alright. Think they’re trying to go with the less is more thing like the Brooklyn Nets. Overall they have an interesting, unique and potentially flashy combination of colors, but their logo is a basketball in a triangle and their jerseys now kind of look like last years Knick’s jerseys (as I’m watching them in blue in Chicago now). I don’t take as much issue with the name as everyone else. Then again I’m a Wild fan, the only hockey team every to be mistaken for a women’s basketball team, ever.

12. cosanostra71 - Nov 8, 2012 at 10:54 PM

like the pants, the jerseys…. not so much.

13. scalfor3 - Nov 9, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Don’t like these. I actually really like their current jerseys but I like almost any jersey that uses powder blue.

14. albertmn - Nov 9, 2012 at 7:43 AM