Nov 8, 2012, 8:26 PM EDT
The elbow from Kings’ rookie Thomas Robinson on Wednesday — you remember, the one that connected with the throat of Jonas Jerebko and earned Robinson a well-deserved two-game suspension — was brutal and unnecessary, and has no place at all in a basketball game played at the professional level.
Thankfully, after receiving his punishment for the act, Robinson seems to realize it.
Speaking after the Kings practiced on Thursday, Thomas was apologetic, humble, and reflective, while seeming to understand the gravity of what he had done.
On what teammates said to him:
“I’ve got to be smarter in my decisions. It was a bad decision, a bad choice I made. I made it already, I can’t change it. If I could I would but it’s something I have to live with and move on from here.”
On had he ever had an incident like this in high school or college:
“Not at all. Unfortunately I’m not perfect. I would love to be, but I made a mistake. It rarely happens to me. I’ve never been in that type of situation before. I’ve never been ejected from a game or anything of that sort of matter. I definitely take full responsibility and I apologize to the whole organization, the fans and everybody who supports me. It won’t happen again.”
On what led to the elbow:
“Just frustration. It’s nothing he did. Chirping is part of the game and that’s something I have to adjust to. These guys are professionals, whether it’s trash talking, whatever, they’re pros. He got under my skin and I let it get to me. So it was a mistake.”
Good on Robinson for taking full accountability for his actions.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85