Nov 8, 2012, 8:26 PM EDT
The elbow from Kings’ rookie Thomas Robinson on Wednesday — you remember, the one that connected with the throat of Jonas Jerebko and earned Robinson a well-deserved two-game suspension — was brutal and unnecessary, and has no place at all in a basketball game played at the professional level.
Thankfully, after receiving his punishment for the act, Robinson seems to realize it.
Speaking after the Kings practiced on Thursday, Thomas was apologetic, humble, and reflective, while seeming to understand the gravity of what he had done.
On what teammates said to him:
“I’ve got to be smarter in my decisions. It was a bad decision, a bad choice I made. I made it already, I can’t change it. If I could I would but it’s something I have to live with and move on from here.”
On had he ever had an incident like this in high school or college:
“Not at all. Unfortunately I’m not perfect. I would love to be, but I made a mistake. It rarely happens to me. I’ve never been in that type of situation before. I’ve never been ejected from a game or anything of that sort of matter. I definitely take full responsibility and I apologize to the whole organization, the fans and everybody who supports me. It won’t happen again.”
On what led to the elbow:
“Just frustration. It’s nothing he did. Chirping is part of the game and that’s something I have to adjust to. These guys are professionals, whether it’s trash talking, whatever, they’re pros. He got under my skin and I let it get to me. So it was a mistake.”
Good on Robinson for taking full accountability for his actions.
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (92)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (62)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay