Nov 8, 2012, 8:26 PM EDT
The elbow from Kings’ rookie Thomas Robinson on Wednesday — you remember, the one that connected with the throat of Jonas Jerebko and earned Robinson a well-deserved two-game suspension — was brutal and unnecessary, and has no place at all in a basketball game played at the professional level.
Thankfully, after receiving his punishment for the act, Robinson seems to realize it.
Speaking after the Kings practiced on Thursday, Thomas was apologetic, humble, and reflective, while seeming to understand the gravity of what he had done.
On what teammates said to him:
“I’ve got to be smarter in my decisions. It was a bad decision, a bad choice I made. I made it already, I can’t change it. If I could I would but it’s something I have to live with and move on from here.”
On had he ever had an incident like this in high school or college:
“Not at all. Unfortunately I’m not perfect. I would love to be, but I made a mistake. It rarely happens to me. I’ve never been in that type of situation before. I’ve never been ejected from a game or anything of that sort of matter. I definitely take full responsibility and I apologize to the whole organization, the fans and everybody who supports me. It won’t happen again.”
On what led to the elbow:
“Just frustration. It’s nothing he did. Chirping is part of the game and that’s something I have to adjust to. These guys are professionals, whether it’s trash talking, whatever, they’re pros. He got under my skin and I let it get to me. So it was a mistake.”
Good on Robinson for taking full accountability for his actions.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47