Rajon Rondo doesn’t like anyone, has no time for friends

Nov 8, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT

Rajon Rondo AP

Rajon Rondo is in the top tier of the league’s most competitive players, so the comments he made that we’re about to bring you shouldn’t come as much of a surprise.

Rondo is traditionally very quiet with the media, so when he talks about things like his competitive drive or how he values his teammates over all else, it’s worth tuning in to listen. He appeared on WEEI radio on Thursday, and had some interesting comments that let us into both his, and his team’s mentality.

As transcribed by Chris Forsberg of ESPNBoston.com:

Asked if he hates rivals like the Los Angeles Lakers and Miami Heat, Rondo admitted he’s not in this business to make friends.

“Hate’s a strong word, but I agree with my teammate,” Rondo said when asked about Jason Terry‘s comments about disliking rivals. “We don’t like anyone. It’s our job to go out there and win. We’re not trying to be friends with anybody, I think KG shows it best. He plays with a lot of intensity. He has no friends out there on the court, and that’s our mentality.

In this era where many players from opposing teams grew up in the game together and have strong relationships off the court, it’s nice to hear that Rondo and the Celtics keep it fierce against the competition. Most fans harbor a hatred of their favorite team’s most bitter rival on some level, and they want to see that same fire in the players who play for the team they love and support.

Rondo took it a step further, when discussing just how he views those who he plays against — in short, he isn’t there to make friends.

“That should be everyone’s mentality. We are competing — there’s no friends on the court. Even if you were playing against a family member like your mother, you still go out there and try to beat her. It’s just a matter of competing. We love to win, I’m very competitive. Anything I do, I want to win. I don’t have time for friends. I don’t talk to a lot of these guys in the offseason, so why I should talk to them on the court and try to be their friend?

“I’m playing for my teammates. I know I’m a great teammate — if you’re not my teammate, I could care less about them.”

It’s probably a lonely summer for Rondo, given his lack of interest in developing off-the-court relationships with his co-workers who play for teams other than Boston. But Celtics fans wouldn’t have it any other way.

1. savvybynature - Nov 8, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Why would it be a lonely summer for him? He could be spending the time with family or friends he grew up with. Hell, he might be chilling with Cornel West or Neil DeGrasse Tyson for all we know.

I wouldn’t assume that basketball players are automatically the most interesting people to spend your down time with, even if you’re a fellow basketball player.

Good on him for wanting to win more than he wants to be liked.

2. nmking26 - Nov 8, 2012 at 11:24 PM

You guys need to make up your minds if you like or hate Rondos/KGs/Celtics mentality.

One day you’re making a post about how their mentality belongs in the 60s and not now. And then the next day you’re making a post about loving their attitude.

I already have low expectations while reading articles on PBT, but all this flip flopping does you guys no favors.

3. misterdreamer119 - Nov 8, 2012 at 11:54 PM

When he knocks down that jumper its over.

• eventhorizon04 - Nov 9, 2012 at 7:02 AM

100% true, but we’ve been saying that for a couple of years now…

• captainwisdom8888 - Nov 9, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Rondo is a mini version of kg. they wanna sound tough and they wanna sound hard so they spout out all this jazz. Both of them are 2 Ofthe dirtiest players in the league. Loved by Celtic fans, nothing short of hated by the rest of the league.

I respect their games, both of them. Also I respect their passion for the game. But I don’t respect them as men. They lack class

• captainwisdom8888 - Nov 9, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Ps. He will never steadily hit that jumper. Sorry

• limonadamas - Nov 9, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Rondo is such a fun player to watch. What a competitior… And this is coming from a Laker fan.

4. eugenesaxe - Nov 9, 2012 at 12:22 AM

That’s right, be a child like KG. Real bad-ass,

5. magicbucs - Nov 9, 2012 at 12:40 AM

I love it! I miss old school basketball, 90’s and earlier. Magic, bird and Jordan never hung out. Or called each other in the off season. This past summer lebron and Durant worked out. Wtf??!!

• goraidersgospurs - Nov 9, 2012 at 5:38 AM

There also where not max contracts with the type of money players make now, if I am making Durant & LBJ money WTF do I have to be madd about win or lose they still get there big check!!!

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Nov 9, 2012 at 6:30 AM

Magic and Isaiah would kiss before games. KISS!!! MJ and Barkley were best friends. Ewing and Mourning were best friends.

I love it when people here talk about how things “used to be”. Used to be there was one or two games on TV per week, no Internet/twitter, no NBA TV, no 24/7 NBA news cycles, no PBT, etc.

Truth is, none of us have any idea how it truly used to be; and most likely things used to be exactly how things are now. We just see/read/hear about it more. Much more.

• eventhorizon04 - Nov 9, 2012 at 7:01 AM

Thank you for posting that.

It’s well known that rivals even back “in the good old days” were friendly, especially if you’ve read about guys like Jordan.

The difference between today’s game and the NBA 20 years ago is that there wasn’t Twitter back then, so fans didn’t see Michael Jordan “Tweet” photos of him and Barkley meeting up at a restaurant to hang out.

• lucascorny - Nov 9, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Did U watch the same basketball? Bird and Magic never hung out?! lol

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Nov 9, 2012 at 10:33 AM

People act like Bird and Magic were the only two players in the whole league in the 80’s, and that the Lakers and Celtics were the only two teams.

During the entirety of the 80’s, the Lakers and Celtics played each other twice a year, And they played against each other in the Finals 3 times (19 games). Thirty-Nine games total. That’s it.

Since 2003, Dwyane Wade and Dirk Nowitzki have played 18 regular season games and 12 Finals games. Thirty games. Guess what…..Wade and Dirk don’t hang out either.

6. 1soflo1 - Nov 9, 2012 at 8:39 AM

“there’s no friends on the court. Even if you were playing against a family member like your mother” LOL! I can understand someones competitive nature on the court, but leave it on the court. The celtics are fake tough guys. Boxers and football players can physically hurt each other and remain friends; NBA players should be singing we are the world GTFOH!! Fake tough guys.

7. kacapaco - Nov 9, 2012 at 8:46 AM

That is vintage Rondo. He had friends in life who are not in NBA. Why would he act like a friend in front of a camera knowing he is not? Class act.

8. circuscivics - Nov 9, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Weather or not they hung out during the off-season or not, the old school guys didn’t play like they liked each other during games. Jordan and Ewing are friends. As is well known, he and Barkley are friends. But when they faced off, played like they hated each other. No helping the opponent off the floor when they fell, and no post game hugs.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Nov 9, 2012 at 1:40 PM

The game is so much better now, so ill live with 90 seconds of pre-game dap.

9. mannyicey - Nov 9, 2012 at 2:28 PM

WTF?! Lebron and Durant worked out together this summer?! Gee, did Kobe and Carmelo join them?

(Of course they worked out together! They all won Olympic gold this summer! Of course, Rondo’s off-season mentality may be different if he had to band with other NBA players to beat Spain for the Gold Medal.)

• lucascorny - Nov 12, 2012 at 4:40 PM

right on. I dont think it make some kind of difference if you hung out or not as Rondo is trying to say. I love that guy but dont agree with this one..

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches