Lakers owner Jim Buss gives Mike Brown vote of confidence

Nov 8, 2012, 8:08 AM EDT

Mike Brown AP

After what is arguably the Lakers ugliest loss of the season in Utah — although it’s really hard to pick just one, they have all been so ugly — the heat from fans and the media is back on coach Mike Brown and his Princeton offense.

But not from Lakers ownership.

Jim Buss preached patience and backed Brown, he gave a vote of confidence to his coach when speaking with Ramona Shelburne of ESPNLA.com.

“I have no problems with Mike Brown at all,” Buss said. “He just works too hard and he’s too knowledgeable for this to be happening.

“So either the system is flawed or something’s going on. Or, like the Triangle, it’s very hard to pick up and understand. I’m not a basketball mind like he is or the players are, and the players are fine with it, so I just have to be patient….

“You have to give it time to understand [what's going on],” Buss said. “I don’t know if there’s an actual game total that would make me impatient. I know if we’re 1-15, I don’t think that would be very good. I’m sure that would be a panic button. But at this time, I’m fine with what’s going on. It’s a learning process for the players. As long as everybody is on the same page, I think we’re fine.”

When you say “the players are fine with it” do you mean Kobe Bryant? Because that is what we all pretty much are thinking. And very clearly during the game Wednesday Kobe was damn frustrated.

“Kobe [Bryant] and I have a relationship where he can just look at me and say, ‘Everything’s cool,'” Buss said. “So yesterday during practice, I gave Kobe a quick glance, and everything was cool.”

For now. Often these kinds of votes of confidence is the last thing the coach hears before the ax falls, but in this case Brown still has time. Buss is smart enough to remember when the Miami Heat started 9-8 two seasons ago and everyone was sure Pat Riley was coming down from the front office to replace Erik Spoelstra. That worked itself out and the Heat were in the finals that year. Plus, remember it was Jim Buss who went and got Mike Brown, that’s his guy. We are all slow to admit our mistakes and Jim Buss is no exception.

Besides, the Lakers are not a franchise that makes knee-jerk reaction. The Buss family does not makes moves out of panic.

But that Heat team had a longer window than these Lakers, Buss cannot be patient forever. There isn’t going to be a change after five games. But once we start to get into December, if this team is still a hot mess, if it isn’t showing signs of real improvement and being on the way to contending, change may well come.

1. magicbucs - Nov 8, 2012 at 8:16 AM

KARMA….

2. edwardsro - Nov 8, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Why even wait. We are wasting time with Brown. Time we can’t get back.

3. rj2323 - Nov 8, 2012 at 9:28 AM

FIRE MIKE BROWN

4. manchestermiracle - Nov 8, 2012 at 9:59 AM

The Princeton offense may be fine for some teams, particularly college where the players are young, but it’s a waste of time and energy on this team. The triangle would be more appropriate, especially with Howard and Gasol on the floor at the same time, but any offense that allows Nash more room to create would be a better choice.

The Lakers have been making it easy on opposing defenses by running around mindlessly in this stupid offense, and Brown isn’t helping his case by not finding some way to make it work. I’d cut him some slack if he were exhibiting any of the defensive chops he’s supposed to be known for, but that simply isn’t happening either.

Let’s hope this “vote of confidence” turns out to be what is really needed at this point: A warning to Brown to get it right or get ready to be canned.

5. davidly - Nov 8, 2012 at 10:27 AM

It’s not good to have a player taking more shots than the team has assists. Especially is that player shoots well below .500. When he gets to the line that much, though…
    what was that about? LA has about a free throw per minute to Utah’s 18.

Still, last night was about the D, or lack thereof.

Are there odds in Vegas as to how long before the Lakers reach .500? My guess is 21-21.

6. ocgunslinger - Nov 8, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Not impressed with Brown in his time in LA. This is not helping!

7. eventhorizon04 - Nov 8, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Mike Brown, “I appreciate the vote of confidence, and I’d like to announce my new plan to play Metta World Peace at point guard.”

8. florida727 - Nov 8, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Pretty sure “vote of confidence” is code for “you’re about to be fired”.

9. ron05342 - Nov 8, 2012 at 12:27 PM

It’s not about the offense, its about the terrible defense and lack of effort and passion from this Lakers team.

It’s pretty obvious from anyone watching the games, and I am surprised at all the attention on the offensive sets and play. The defense is what is losing the games.

10. paulhargis53 - Nov 8, 2012 at 1:04 PM

It isn’t the coaching. It’s on the players.

Kobe giving Brown a death stare? Really?

Why don’t they just let the Jordan wannabe be player/coach then?

• bozosforall - Nov 9, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Horrible observation from the biggest loser on PBT. Get a life, Pudhummer53…dumb and drunk on loads of cum is no way to go through your life.

• loungefly74 - Nov 9, 2012 at 10:11 AM

its amazing how much leeway kobe has with that franchise. $$$ has a lot to do with it. lets face it, even Lebron gave Brown the “death stare”. a big knack against Brown is he has no backbone. with any team that rapidly assembles itself…gelling takes time…laker fans are taking their lumps right now.

(my first attempt at posting in a new light despite who it is too…i’m gonna take the advice of another poster here and let bygones be bygones…)

11. clownsfan - Nov 8, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Mike Brown is a CHUMP. Always has been. Always will be.

12. chargerdillon - Nov 8, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Is anybody other than ownership who is paying this guy supporting Mike Brown or think he can do a good job and fix this mess?

Does anybody not paying this man think so?

ANYBODY OUT THERE? Vote of support for Mike Brown?

Mitch, it’s not looking good buddy. If it’s not your roster, it’s clearly your coach. I hear Norv Turner might be available soon, he’s great and undercoaching overtalented teams. Dont rule him out!

13. 00maltliquor - Nov 8, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Maybe not fire Mike Brown, there’s no one else out there besides SVG (that’s not happening) and Phil’s not coming back…how about we fire that hideous looking offense. That offense is offensive!

But really, our defense is just as bad and that’s what MB is supposed to hang his hat on. Well, looks like someone stole his hat rack so something has to give. I’ve never seen the Lakers lose this much in my life, and I’m damn near 30 years old!

It will definatly all work out in the end, but the Princeton is not going to win any championships so we just need to cut our losses and dump the O and go to something else that will compliment Nash upon his return.

• loungefly74 - Nov 9, 2012 at 8:51 AM

“on my signal…unleash Hell…” “Rome wasn’t built in a day”…alright, i’m running out of cliches but you know what i mean. we gotta stay cool and have faith. we are going to take our lumps and its hurting right now…but we gotta stay true to what the lakers are about. “this too shall pass…” ahhhh i had one more in me! (wokka wokka!)

14. Mr. Wright 212 - Nov 8, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Votes of confidence means guys will be fired.

15. jayquintana - Nov 8, 2012 at 6:54 PM

To state the obvious, Jimmy is in way over his head. What’s up with Dad? This is like letting Fredo run the family business.

16. harrymcdowell - Nov 8, 2012 at 8:17 PM

The lakers hired him for a reason. The princeton offense is a ‘reaction’ to the aging stars they have. So thats why he is being afforded this extra breathing room. The players and the staff are seeing this offense as a necessary evil to stay competitive. Now when it comes to defense i cant say why its not more of a focus. They were allowing more points per game than last year’s Bobcats for a few games there even ha ha ha.

17. ron05342 - Nov 8, 2012 at 11:23 PM

18. choppa2lis - Nov 9, 2012 at 12:09 AM

he is scared to fire him. spike lee will rally the naacp into riots calling him a racist if he fires mike brown. obama will chime in and call him a racist and say mike brown looks like the full blood brother he never had. how can you blame him

19. paulhargis53 - Nov 9, 2012 at 8:52 AM

No observation from you though, right bozosforall/lakerluver?

Still ripping off my jokes, huh? Can’t ever come up with your own material?

Everyone knows I used the you got fired from the sperm bank for drinking on the job line on you about 10 days ago.

You’re pathetic. You serve no purpose on here. Your unoriginality and redundancy are tiresome. How can you be this sad and pathetic under 2 different screen names?

20. omniusprime - Nov 11, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Hey Kurt Helin – thanks for writing the most ignorant sports article ever! I see you took down my earlier post calling you out for writing this pathetic piece of trash article. Well now that Clueless Clown Brown has been fired isn’t it funny that this insipid article is still showing up as a recent article for everyone to laugh at? If you can’t take some harsh criticism then I suggest you run home to Mommy and hide behind her skirts, it’s a tough world out here in pundit land and you’d better toughen up and be able to handle some well deserved criticism.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches