Nov 7, 2012, 9:09 PM EST
When the Chicago Bulls score 100 points in a game attendees at the United Center get a coupon for a free McDonald’s Big Mac. If Derrick Rose were still playing they would probably have to give out coupons for a free angioplasty by the middle of the season, but with him out McDonald’s is largely safe.
Which brings us to Tuesday night, when the Bulls were about to beat the Magic 99-93 and should have been running out the clock, then suddenly Joakim Noah tried a three to get the fans their Big Macs. He missed. When the final buzzer sounded some Bulls fans booed because they didn’t get their free burger.
Coach Tom Thibodeau talked to Noah about the shot, and the center said he regretted the choice, reports ESPNChicago.com.
“I got caught up in the moment,” Noah admitted after the game…
“I regret it a little bit,” Noah said. “It wasn’t a good shot.
“You have to respect the game because you never know what can happen in a game. I just got caught up in the moment and I was trying to get the people a Big Mac. They really wanted a Big Mac (judging by how loud the crowd was getting) and I felt like, not only did I take the shot and miss the shot, we didn’t even get the Big Mac. Next time, I won’t take that 3-pointer.”
Bad Karma, Joakim. Bad Karma. Like a football team going all out and trying to create a turnover on a kneel down play at the end of a game.
People love free stuff and these fast-food promotions lead fans to do silly things — the “we want ta-cos” chant remains a favorite — but the players should know better. Rise above it, guys.
Besides, Chicago is a city with some amazing burgers around. You don’t want to send the people to McDonald’s.
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 1
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 1
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)