Chris Paul told Byron Scott to let Kyrie Irving guard him

Nov 7, 2012, 10:10 AM EDT

Dion Waiters, Anderson Varejao,  Chris Paul AP

Kyrie Irving played a fantastic game to lead the Cavaliers to a win over the Clippers Monday — 24 points, 10 assists and he had the dagger three at the end (when for some reason DeAndre Jordan and Eric Bledsoe both backed off him and gave him a clean look with the game on the line).

But Chris Paul wanted to see more out of him — he wanted to see his defense.

Cavs coach Byron Scott, as he often does with the opposing team’s best perimeter player, cross matched and put Alonzo Gee on Paul. And Paul told him not to, reports Jason Lloyd of the Plain Dealer (on Sulia):

Apparently at some point during Monday’s Cavs win over the Clippers, Paul jogged by Scott and told him “take him off me” and wanted Kyrie Irving to defend him instead.

“Why you got him guarding me? Let the young fella guard me,” Paul told Scott. “I said, ‘Young fella has guarded you. He said, ‘Well you threw me in the fire, made me guard all those guys.'”

Scott coached Paul, of course, when Paul was just breaking into the league in New Orleans.

CP3 had 17 points and 9 dimes for the Clippers. And he was not the reason the Clippers lost that game. But Irving was the reason the Cavs won.

1. money2long - Nov 7, 2012 at 11:03 AM

to me, it never felt like kyrie irving ever played like a rookie. from day one, kyrie was a star. after such a minimal college resume, it impresses me that he has someone like cp3 wanting to see what he got.

• therealroman - Nov 7, 2012 at 12:23 PM

he is unreal-good. you’re right on the money with the “never played like a rookie”-part. he looks like the next CP3 but he’s already a better 3-point shooter IMO. if he stays healthy he’s gonna be one of those often talked about “franchise players” within 3 or 4 years

2. spthegr8 - Nov 7, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Soon Uncle Drew, will be the BEST PG in the league. But for now, I think CP3 has still got that on LOCK.!!!!

3. mrlaloosh - Nov 7, 2012 at 12:10 PM

CP-ME sure is full of himself. Ask him how Deron Williams has owned him since they both came into the league.

4. pikkiwoki - Nov 7, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I would want to be guarded by the worst defensive PG in the league, too (per Synergy stats).

5. eureca323 - Nov 7, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Its interesting that if Clippers hadn’t traded that pick to the Cavs that ended up being Kyrie they probably never get CP3 and have a line up similar to this.

PG. Kyrie Irving, Bledsoe
    SG. Eric Gordon, Chauncey Billups
    SF. Caron Butler, Aminu
    PF. Blake Griffin
    C. DeAndre Jordan, Kaman
    And whoever they would draft with the Minnesota pick from the 2012 draft.

Still a great young line up with great upside. I don’t know where CP3 had ended up.

• denverhoopdreams - Nov 7, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Except Chauncey wouldn’t have wanted to play for Clippers if CP3 wasn’t around. You remember he was picked up on waivers right? It’s actually way too hard to predict who they would have had if CP3 didn’t come along.

• 00maltliquor - Nov 7, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Well then F Chauncey. J-Crossover baby!

6. lakerluver - Nov 7, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Man, he’s going to look good in PURPLE & GOLD!! Kyrie to D12!

• 00maltliquor - Nov 7, 2012 at 7:25 PM

I like it!

7. badintent - Nov 7, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I like the Clippers, but CP needs to grow up.His mouth writing checks that Billups got to co-sign. Get a Ring first like Chaucy, then you can run your mouth Chrissy. ! Save the energy for shutting/slowing down Irving.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches